Deleting group of contacts

SOLVED
Go to solution
HarrietK69
Rookie
0 Votes

I have been trying for an hour to figure out how to select a large group of contacts by status (whether they have clicked on or opened our emails or by date added) and then delete them from our account, and there seems to be no way to do this. Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda_G
Employee
0 Votes

Hi @HarrietK69 , 

You should be able to pull contacts with all of that different criteria using our segmentation tool. Deleting the segment can be confusing - because after that segment is created, we need to first add those segmented contacts to a list, and then delete the contacts. That will ensure they are removed from the account. Make sure that you export those contacts into an excel sheet before deleting them, though, as we don't have a way to recover them once they're deleted. 

Amanda G.
Community & Social Care
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Amanda_G
Employee
0 Votes

Hi @HarrietK69 , 

You should be able to pull contacts with all of that different criteria using our segmentation tool. Deleting the segment can be confusing - because after that segment is created, we need to first add those segmented contacts to a list, and then delete the contacts. That will ensure they are removed from the account. Make sure that you export those contacts into an excel sheet before deleting them, though, as we don't have a way to recover them once they're deleted. 

Amanda G.
Community & Social Care
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
HarrietK69
Rookie
0 Votes

When I put those contacts into a new list and deleted the list, the total number of my contacts did not change because all of them are still on the other lists. How do I permanently delete these contacts?

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

If you follow the instructions Amanda linked earlier for deleting contacts, this won't be the case. Once you've added the segmented contacts to a list, go into that list, select-all the contacts, click the Actions dropdown menu, select Delete, confirm the deletion. Depending on how many you're deleting, it may take a moment for the system to process it and reflect your updated contact numbers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
HarrietK69
Rookie
0 Votes

The instructions (creating a new list from a segment, etc.) didn't work, but I was somehow able to delete some contacts by status. Now I would like to filter all my contacts by date added and delete a group that was added on a specific date (it was not a good list). Is there a way do that? 

Amanda_G
Employee
0 Votes

@HarrietK69 , 

You can certainly sort contacts by the date they were added, but you will then need to check them off one by one to delete them. Otherwise, I would recommend giving our support team a call at 866-289-2101 for some live, 1:1 support with adding a segment to a list in order to delete them. 

Amanda G.
Community & Social Care

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST