The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Duplicate emails in autoresponder

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Duplicate emails in autoresponder

I have a Cognito form to collect leads from a blog post. I connected Cognito to Constant Contact using a Zap (Zapier) so far so good...
I already had some contacts in lists so I needed to create a new email to send out and segmented the content using links into 3 categories. When a contact clicks on a link they get put on a subset list of the larger list and it triggers an autoresponder email series. (I cranked out 3 autoresponder email series with 6 emails each in each series)

I tested it out by signing up one of my email accounts and I am getting duplicates. I can't figure out why. This is the first time I have set up an autoresponder email series so I am on a deep learning curve.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Re: Duplicate emails in autoresponder

Can anyone help me with this? I am getting duplicate emails

Highlighted

Hi @ValerieD136 

I apologize you're receiving these duplicate emails! I have taken a closer look and can see there was actually a duplicate of your email address causing this. We have seen cases where some API's and plugins are causing multiple contacts to be generated. This is something we are continuing to troubleshoot as this isn't an experience all users are having. At this time, we don't have the ability to stop this on our side. We do however, suggest contacting the developers of the integration/company that built the integration if you have contact info for this integration.

If you can provide this contact information for the company/developer we can also reach out to the integrator on your behalf. Please email webservices(at)constantcontact(dot)com this contact information so that we can reach out to the developer to fix the issue. In the meantime, we have removed this duplicate contact so you will stop receiving these duplicate emails.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Perhaps I didn't explain it clearly enough. So I'll try again.
1. I have a Cognito Form that when a person fills it out, gets sent over to a specific list on Constant Contact via Zapier. 
2. The email address I used to test it was the first time I ever used it in all of my tests so there is no way it can be a duplicate of a previously used email address.

3. When a person signs up using that form, they get a Welcome/Thank You email that then triggers the next email asking them to click on 1 of 3 links. Those 3 links trigger an autoresponder series.

I don't think the issue is with my autoresponder series but how I segmented it perhaps...
Person A signs up on Cognito Form
Gets Put on List 5
List 5 has 3 subsets, or 3 segmented paths depending on which link they click on

So in my test, I got 2 Thank You emails and 2 of the follow-up emails with an email address I never used before. 
Could it be that in setting up the segments, the email address goes from List 5 to the subset list which triggers the series again?

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I should also add I didn't experience this problem before until I created the 3 segmented autoresponder series. 
If you look in my account you'll see a DONE series that had a Welcome email, and a follow-up email. That series went out fine with no duplicates.

The duplicate email address you guys deleted was not my doing. I didn't sign up twice with the same email address. The system somehow created that 2nd email address and my guess is maybe due to the segmenting ?

Highlighted

Hi @ValerieD136 

Thank you for responding with these details! I have taken a look at the automated series in your account and can see they are all set up correctly. It appears one email goes out to new sign ups. There are then different links in this email that when clicked connects to separate automated campaign. So these duplicate emails you've received are not due to the click-segmentation you've set up.

Because of this it does appear you receive duplicate emails due to the duplicate contact. It's also important to clarify this duplicate contact was not from you signing up twice with the same email address. We have seen cases where some plugins are causing contacts to be added more than once when signing up. As previously stated, this is an experience we are continuing to troubleshoot. However if you receive any reports of other contacts receiving duplicate emails please let us know! You can email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with the email address or addresses in question along with your username and a reference to this post.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured