Duplicates in list

JessicaM3370
Participant

Duplicates in list

In a list we are trying to use there are reps who have multiple accounts. We want the rep to receive an email for each account but the email address for the rep is the same and it keeps taking them all out but one because it is a duplicate. Is there any way to upload a list where it will not take out duplicates? 

3 REPLIES 3
William_D

Hello @JessicaM3370 ,

Email addresses are what denotes a unique contact, so there shouldn't technically be any "duplicates" in your mailing list. A person who has multiple email addresses would count as a separate contact for each email address of theirs you upload into your Contacts. Feel free to respond to the @ mention email if you have examples of contacts whose information has been overwritten despite having a separate email address.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

The list would have info like this:

School Name: School A  Rep Name: James  Email address:  James@yahoo.com

School Name: School B  Rep Name: James  Email address:  James@yahoo.com

School Name: School C  Rep Name: James  Email address:  James@yahoo.com

School Name: School D  Rep Name: James  Email address:  James@yahoo.com

So when I try to load a list with info like this, it only does the first one because they all have the same email address.

We were trying to give the rep (who only has one email address) an email for each school on our list.

I realize this is not what folks usually want to do so I understand if it wont work that way.

Hello @JessicaM3370, You are correct, our system does not allow duplicate email addresses. However you can handle this situation in a few different ways. You can use tags to identify the contact with certain schools. Adding tags You could also create lists for each school and the contact can be on each of those lists. (Sort you excel file by School and upload to a list for each of those schools. You can also create custom fields that you upload that show membership in the multiple schools. Then you can use segments to pull these contacts together. Using Contact Lists, Tags, and Segments 

Amy Y.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right
strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.