Edit mobile view

KassandraF8
Regular Participant

Edit mobile view

Is there a way that I can edit the mobile version of the email? I am VERY frustrated with the way some images come up on the mobile view. I've made changes to the size and location of my logo in the email but it still shows up very large on the mobile view--which is obnoxious and takes up unnecessary space. Please advise.

Top Answer
Frankie_P

Hi @GaryS1 

I apologize you're having this experience with your image resizing on a mobile device. Although the logo in your email was resized to appear smaller, it was uploaded at around 550px wide. This upload size causes it to display larger on a mobile device. Our templates are mobile responsive, and are designed to resize and display full width on a mobile device. To have your image display the way you would like it to, we suggest resizing it outside of our program to have a smaller width and re-uploaded into your account.

We ask for additional comments and votes be left on the open idea for having a separate mobile editing view. Our Product team regularly reviews our Feedback boards more than our Get Help area. Though we do not have a time estimate of if a feature like this will be available in the product, any updates will be posted there, not on this post. Voting and commenting on that post allows you to be notified of replies.

56 REPLIES 56

Hello @BrendaB23,

Thank you for much for your feedback we do really appreciate it! The solution is to update the image size outside of Constant Contact by reducing it to less than 200px wide and re-uploading it. This way, it appears smaller on a mobile device. 

Zoe H.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
StolleryF
Occasional Participant

What kind of program should I use to reduce the size of the images - I also think this is not a great solution that I have to go and do this for each image.....

StolleryF
Occasional Participant

This worked for a picture but not icons I am using....

I agree, I have started my research as well!

CindyB06

I will be leaving Constant Contact. 👋🏻

ShirleyL89
Regular Participant

This needs to be addressed.  It has been THREE years since the original poster advised of this issue and the mobile images continue to look *super* unprofessional.  It is absolutely insane that one of the largest email marketing platforms with in the US, with, I'm sure, a very capable dev team, has known of a problem as simple as being unable to resize images for mobile platforms and has not addressed it in this period of time.

I'm preparing an E-mail to send to clients, and they continue to look terrible on mobile.  Being directed to downsize or add padding to images individually to accommodate what I view as a fairly critical design feature that has been missing for years, is totally the wrong way to handle this and a waste of my time.  I like most of the rest of CC, but this missing function is significant enough that if it is not repaired quickly, we will seek an alternate service as well.

I submit to you that for every one of me writing to complain and threatening to leave, a whole bunch have quietly already gone.  Fix this.

Hello @ShirleyL89,

We're sorry for any frustrations with how your images are displaying on mobile devices and glad you reached out about it! While there's not a way to edit just the mobile version, you can first upload your logo image file at a smaller width (less than 600 pixels wide) so its original size is smaller to begin with. In addition, you can follow some best practices for making sure your email campaign does look great on mobile devices! If you'd like to send us an email we're also happy to take a look at your email campaign to see exactly what's going on. Please send an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com and include your username, the name of the email campaign, the specific mobile devices you're seeing this on, the email programs it's being viewed in, if you're working on the desktop version of Constant Contact or within the mobile app, and a reference to this post. Thanks!

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
ShirleyL89
Regular Participant

Hi Zoe,

While I appreciate that images can be individually resized to essentially "force" the communication to look correct, this seems like a very basic UI problem that should have been addressed years ago.  In this day of ultra-customizable WYSIWYG software, there is no reason for this to be a problem (and if there is a reason, I'd certainly like to hear it and it should be publicly explained).  I can do image resizes, but it's annoying, a waste of time, and my guess is a lot of other people can not.  Please elevate this to your engineers. 

Hello @ShirleyL89 ,

Thank you for reaching out with additional questions about this! On a desktop device it's easier for our WYSITYG editor to be able to assign a size to an image as most major email clients limit the width of an email to 600 pixels wide. This means that it would be consistent across all desktop devices. However, there are so many different types of mobile devices with different sized screens that the ability to say "this needs to be displayed at 200 pixels on mobile" doesn't work quite the same way since 200 pixels on an iPhone may be huge but on a tablet might be too small. This is why mobile responsive emails display the images based on the actual size of the image as it was uploaded. However, this is something that our engineers are tracking to see if there's a better solution and customer feedback like yours is extremely helpful. 

Amber_L

Let the user have separate control of desktop view and mobile view for image sizing. Give them the option to say "width" and let them choose the units (%, em, px, etc.)... Let it be the responsibility of the user to make it look good so they have the flexibility to not have it look awful by default. Resizing the image down per your guidelines on retina based devices (almost everything nowadays) makes the desktop display pixelated so it can look not terrible on mobile.

At the very least, set it so retina based clients on mobile get the images at 50% the image size so we can minimize the damage of pixelation.

GordonP24
Regular Participant

It's 2021. PLEASE FIX THIS. 

user09512
Frequent Participant

Please fix this. It's Feb 2021.

FirstNameL441468
Occasional Participant

Please fix this. It's Mar 2021

Hello @FirstNameL441468,

Thank you for your feedback! We will be sure to submit it over to our engineers for review. 

Zoe H.

DavidM17699
Regular Participant

It's frustrating how limited users are for mobile templates. For instance, the newsletter templates automatically stack side-by-side picture and text boxes BEFORE content is dropped in. How? Why? What's the point in providing templates that will look drastically different on a mobile device? I guess, technically, the templates are "mobile responsive," since all of the content is visible, but the aesthetic is awful.

I love everything else about Constant Contact, but this is a major flaw.