Editing the Welcome Email

Employee

Editing the Welcome Email

UPDATED: July 2018

Whenever someone signs up for your mailing list, they get an email welcoming them to your list. They'll get this email whether they sign up via the website signup forms, an EventSpot registration, a Social Campaigns sign up, the Facebook Join My List app, or virtually any method where you are not adding them through the Contacts tab.

Obviously, you'll want to make sure that your welcome email says what you want it to say. We provide you with some boilerplate text and a basic color scheme, but you can edit what it says and how it looks. It is easy to change things around.

Start by going to your Campaigns tab and clicking on Campaign Type on the left hand side. Then scroll down Automation and select Welcome Email. You then want to click More to the right of your Welcome Email and  choose the Edit button in the drop down.

campaigns-tab-type-welcome-email-active-more-edit-step123.png

That will bring up a messaging letting you know you'll first have to deactivate your campaign in order to edit it.

welcome_email_set_your_email_to_inactive_overlay_edit_button_step4.png

Once you click Edit, your email will open where you can make edits. This is where you can insert your logochange the colors to match your branding, customize the messaging in the body of the email, then click Continue to reactivate the email.

This next page is the the most important. You will need to make sure the correct lists are selected to receive this email, and that the header and footer content is still correct. Once you are finished, you will click Activate in the top right hand corner. Pressing this button will push your welcome email changes out.

welcome_email_schedule_page_any_list_and_activate_button_step91011.png

We set the process up this way to ensure that if someone subscribed while you were editing the welcome email, they wouldn't get a Frankenstein's monster email that is only half edited. This way, the changes aren't active until you tell it to change.

I've seen some great welcome emails that have come from our customers. We would love to see the welcome emails that you have come up with. Please post them below.

Jeff Gilson
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
6 REPLIES 6
Super Participant

I have a welcome email created in the legacy autoresponder series that I want to edit. (I was also advised to recreate it in the new responder format which I will do also, but need to work out the sequence.)

I would like to edit the existing one first, then create the new one. However it is unclear to me what happens if I pause the email to edit it. If someone joins while I am editing it, will they still receive the email when I unpause it? Or will anyone like that just be "lost" from the welcome?

Then, my next problem is that I read in the knowledge base this point:

Important: If you have an Automated Email Series triggered to send to contacts who join the same list, they won't receive the Welcome Email.

Currently, using the legacy series, I have a single message "series" that sends a welcome when someone joins the list. Then I have a multi-message series that starts several days after someone joins. Does this note quoted above mean that I cannot have that triggered to the same list, as it was in the legacy series?

If so, I guess I would continue to run the legacy series, and I need to edit every email within it. Again, when I pause it to edit the emails will some of the subscribers miss parts of the sequence?

I'm a little stumped how to proceed with this task. I don't want anything lost in the edits.

Hello @JulieL34,

I have confirmed that your Legacy Welcome Email and you Legacy Autoresponder Series are both sending out to contacts that are new to the General Interest list.

If you create any new automated emails (Automated Email Series), these are designed to override the Welcome emails.

Any series the you stop to edit, new contacts that are added to the account will be missed because the automated emails are designed to only send emails to new contacts AFTER it is activated to prevent it from sending repeats to any of the older contacts.

Timothy_G

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

In terms of overriding the welcome email, does that have to do with the specific type of email that Constant Contact calls the "welcome"? At present the email I send as a welcome, is simply a message like any other message created as part of a series. It welcomes people to the list, but it is not built in the Constant Contact welcome template. So I'm wondering if that makes a difference in how it behaves. I am trying to understand how I can do a welcome message that is then followed by a series, but keep the welcome separate. I want to do that because it's what I have now and I don't want to reinvent the wheel just yet. I really want to just do some editing to my existing series and welcome.Ultimately I think I should convert it to the new style (from legacy).

It seems to me perhaps the way to go is to create my new series, turn off the triggering of the old one and activate the new one. Will new subscribers then start getting the new one, while those who are in the queue for the old one continue to get that one til it runs its course?  Thanks for any clarity you can bring to this.

Hello @JulieL34,

You are correct! If you create a new automated series in our new and easier version, and deactivate the legacy autoresponder, your new clients will start to receive the new version. The clients who are still queued will continue to receive the legacy autoresponder. Thanks!

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Super Participant

One other question I have about the series is that I want to add an email to an existing series, but I don't want to add it at the end. Is this possible?

Hi @JulieL34 

At this time, the order of emails in our legacy automated series can only be changed through deactivating the series first. This will however un-queue any contacts that are currently queued for the series. Having the ability to edit the order of emails in these series is a feature request we are collecting feedback on.

Frankie.P