Email Automation - Target a Segment

HonestA
Home & Building Services

Email Automation - Target a Segment

Hello,

I have run into an issue and looking for advise or a workaround. We would like to use the Email Automation option to target a segment. Segments are available to us using the 'Email' campaign but not Email Automation campaigns. Why is that? Why can we only select from a list when segments are available for Emails? 

We have data that changes on our contacts frequently and use bulk updates to automate the data changes on custom properties. This can change what segment the contact is in from day to day. Are there any workarounds for this issue? Does anyone know if there are plans to allow targeting a segment for email automation?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Timothy_G
Employee

Hello @HonestA,

Thank you for contacting us about the ability to target segments with the automated series. At this time we don't have that ability built into the system. We are tracking this request and will set a response to let you know when this functionality is added.

The segments menu does allow you to transfer the contacts from the segments to a list directly from the segment screen. This would allow these contacts to use a Join-list Autoresponder.

Timothy_G
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
AngelaW84867
Frequent Participant

Hi team,

We would like to follow up on that, if possible. Are there are any changes made to the option of sending automation campaign to a segment?

And if not, once we have applied the suggested alternative and transferred the contacts from the segment to a new list, will the list update automatically, once a new client is added/subscribed?

Thank you for your help in advance.

DetailXPerts
Safe and Clean with Steam
https://www.detailxperts.net

Hello @AngelaW84867 ,

At this time, automation series cannot be setup to target a segment. Adding segments to a list is always a manual action, so updating / recalculating a segment won't update any lists created from it, unless manually done so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
AngelaW84867
Frequent Participant

Thank you William for your answer!

What is the best practice in a case like that, when we would like to send an automation campaign to every new member that joins a segment? And how the segment (which we transfer to a list) can be automatically updated, so it targets 2 particular groups?

Moreover, once we set up an automation campaign with particular CTA, and when a new subscriber complete the CTA, would the automation sequence stop automatically? And if not, which settings or criteria we need to set up that would be able to do that?

Thank you so much for your help and apologies for that many question.

DetailXPerts
Safe and Clean with Steam
https://www.detailxperts.net

Automations don't really have an off switch from clicks or other actions taken by contacts, beyond unsubscribing. If a contact completes a certain CTA you've included in an email, then it's up to you to remove them from that series by removing them from the applicable list.

Segments can't be auto-updated, they have to be manually recalculated / updated by selecting the option in the segment's menu. 

William D

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.