Email not delivered until almost 24 hours after sent

SFSecretary
Rookie

I sent an email on May 5 at 12:45 pm. The status shows 430 emails, "Your email was successfully sent." A few hours later, someone called to say they didn't receive it. I realized I had not received it either. I checked the status and it said 20 people had opened it even though the two of us had not seen it. Today, May 6, I received the email at 12:05 pm (almost 24 hours after it was sent). We usually have about 200 people open our emails. Only 71 have opened this email which leads me to believe most people did not receive it yesterday. Any ideas about what went wrong?

Top Answer
William_A
Administrator

Hello @SFSecretary ,

It sounds like the receiving email programs or ISPs were gating the emails you were sending. 

Delivery can have a lot of variables, from elements on our side, on your side, on the recipient's side, and in their email system company's side. Here are some general best practices for delivery. I'd also recommend setting your account up for self-authentication since you have your own domain, which can greatly affect delivery timeliness, trustworthiness, and overall success.

If you'd like to learn more about safelisting, and what it entails:

Safelisting domains in a security system

Safelisting email addresses in an email client or security system

If you're wanting more in-depth, specialized insight on your current deliverability, it'd be worth speaking with one of our Delivery agents.

4 REPLIES 4
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @SFSecretary ,

It sounds like the receiving email programs or ISPs were gating the emails you were sending. 

Delivery can have a lot of variables, from elements on our side, on your side, on the recipient's side, and in their email system company's side. Here are some general best practices for delivery. I'd also recommend setting your account up for self-authentication since you have your own domain, which can greatly affect delivery timeliness, trustworthiness, and overall success.

If you'd like to learn more about safelisting, and what it entails:

Safelisting domains in a security system

Safelisting email addresses in an email client or security system

If you're wanting more in-depth, specialized insight on your current deliverability, it'd be worth speaking with one of our Delivery agents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
ac-nj_aauw
Campaign Contributor
T this same issue has just happened to me as well, although I am not sure about delayed delivery. I got several complaints about an email sent earlier this week not being delivered (and I used the delivery statistics to prove them wrong!). Lo and behold, this morning’s email campaign verification was in my inbox BUT NO CAMPAIGN EMAIL! I searched everywhere (and I know all the usual tricks of looking around in gmail.)! So, now I am embarrassed that I doubted my peers about their complaint!

Is this a new problem? Or a coincidence that May 2023 has more than one person seeking answers about non-delivered but marked as “sent” emails?
ac-nj_aauw
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes
Update: email was delivered at 9:31 AM
It was scheduled and sent by CC at 6 AM
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @ac-nj_aauw ,

I'd recommend following the instructions linked in my earlier comment, as it also pertains to how your account is setup as well. If you need further assistance, please contact the Delivery team.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST