Three of our "registrants" turned out to be spam. People who don't exist. We went forward with the event on the assumption we had enough people to afford to pay the workshop teacher. But at the last minute, after printing out the reg. list I noticed that most of the domain names were all sketchy. I looked them up and they brought me to a blacklisted site and a scam domain.
Thanks for reaching out in the Community! I'm sorry to hear you had some spam sign-ups in your event and for the resulting issues this may have caused you.
When you create your next event, add an access code for the event in the payment options and put the access code on the landing page as well. This should prevent spam or false registrants in the future.