Excluding segments - please tell me I'm missing something.

Excluding segments - please tell me I'm missing something.

Hi there,

I have created segments (awesome!) in my account, but now it looks like there is no way to exclude these segments when I'm sending an email? 

Example: I have a huge email segment of just about 'everybody', and I have other segments of donors, recent signups, people who signed other petitions I'd like to exclude, etc. I want to be able to be choosy and exclude the people on any number of those other segments, depending on the email. But right now I can't do that...? The ""solutions"" I've found in this forum are to go back and create old skool duplicate lists of these people, then remove them manually and send to that new list.....?!

With respect, what is the actual point of having segments if you can't exclude based on those segments?

Seriously - you've introduced a way to organize your lists/contacts dynamically, great, but then you can't even use these segments to send emails in any real useable way. To do that, you have to go back to the painful old duplication of lists!

I like the user interface of Constant Contact, but you guys get sooooo many of the details like this just flat-out wrong. Looking at the many threads on this forum, I'm not alone... makes me think that CC just simply doesn't understand the business needs of a huge number of their clients. 

And I'm saying this as someone with 10 years of digital marketing experience. Other email providers recognize that this (excluding custom segments) is a core necessity / function. 

Please tell me I'm stupid and I'm missing something obvious here. 

Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

Surely there is a way to create a segment based on Tag...... yes?

What is the actual point of having segments if you can't exclude based on those segments?

You've introduced a dynamic way to organize your contacts, great, but then you can't even use these segments to send emails in any real useable way. To do that, you have to go back to the painful old duplication of lists!

I like the user interface of Constant Contact, but you guys get sooooo many of the details like this just flat-out wrong. Looking at the many threads on this forum, I'm not alone... makes me think that CC just simply doesn't understand the business needs of a huge number of their clients. 

And I'm saying this as someone with 10 years of digital marketing experience. Other email providers recognize that this (excluding custom segments) is a core necessity / function. 

Hello @STEPHENM8598,

We're always looking at adding more features to make using the system easier and more effective, and I can absolutely see how excluding segments would be useful.  Currently that is not an option, however in the design of your segment, you can absolutely build the segment in reverse.  For instance instead of choosing any of the 'is' limitations, you can change that to 'is not'.  This is essentially creating the inverse of the segment, and excluding all of the criteria that you were originally wanting to exclude.  This isn't always an easy task though, and I'll add you to the list of people requesting we increase those segmentation creation and sending options.

Aaron_H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.