First Name missing from campaign

SOLVED
Go to solution
MaryB0654
Rookie

Hi there - I sent a campaign today that did not pull the first name into the greeting. I have been using the same email template for dozens of emails (make copy each time I need a new email), and never had this happen. I made ZERO changes to the greeting in today's email. How can I figure out what went wrong to ensure it doesn't happen again?

Also, yesterday, while working on this specific email, as I typed text into a text box, CC would not recognize space bar spaces. Everything I typed was jammed together and I spent more time fixing this error than in the creation of the email itself. Is this a "feature" of CC that anyone else has experienced or can address tips about?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

The account owner's main contact info will be what the system puts in place of greeting tag info for test sends and previews. If you've inserted the greeting tag properly, this will fill in with the specific contact's info when you do an actual live send. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @MaryB0654 ,

I checked the emails in your account, and your Scheduled email, as well as the one you just sent and your draft all just have {First Name} typed, not actually coded. Please insert the greeting tag properly if you want our system to be able to pull this info. I'd also strongly advise unscheduling your scheduled emails so you can make this correction in them, before sending them out.

William A
JackieO74
Rookie

My problem is the First Name variable shows the name of the sender and not the addressee/contact/recipient.
This only happened recently and I can;t proceed with the campaign

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

The account owner's main contact info will be what the system puts in place of greeting tag info for test sends and previews. If you've inserted the greeting tag properly, this will fill in with the specific contact's info when you do an actual live send. 

William A
L28658
Rookie
0 Votes

I'm glad to see this answer.

But this seems like a bug to me. I just spent a bunch of time trying to figure out why my name shows up instead of Dear Reader or the actual recipient's name. How would anyone know that it's going to work right when the preview is wrong? Please change how this works.

thanks

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST