Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Width and Formatting Issues in Outlook

Hi John,

I made a copy of your last email in your account (mwcopyof VEOD Promo v12) and I changed that register link so that the words secure link were clickable.  It looks pretty good in my gmail, yahoo and Outlook now.

Would you like to test that and let me know how that goes?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Ah - good idea! That definitely cleaned things up!

I like that the width is now about the same in Outlook. How did you set that?

I guess there's no way to make the backgrounds show up though? Or insert a background that would be visible in Outlook?

Thank you again. I'm sorry to be taking up all your time today!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No worries John!

By making the link clickable by using a word, it took out the huge width.  The link itself was stretching out your template.  As far as the border color, unfortunately that won't display in Outlook because Outlook doesn't display background images. 

Sorry for the trouble!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

For the record Outlook 2003 ( Internet Explorer based) does support background images, but 2007-2010 ( Word based)  does not.  2003 is still a signigicant population as seen by this Campaign Monitor graphic (although it was taken in late June)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

That is true. My apologies John and Tony.  The background images will display in Outlook 2003 but not in the new versions of it.

Thanks Tony!

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again, Marissa!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You're welcome John!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I also have this width formatting problem now with the email showing up as 100% width in outlook 2007 clients all other clients are fine and display at the correct 600 px width. I have not touched the template CSS. Right now i am stuck as i wont be able to send out emails that do not render properly in outlook 2007 as the majority of subscribers use this client.

Using this template - Education Pack - Alumni Promotions 

The template width is set at 600px but in outlook gets rendered at 100% i have tried to set the individual blocks in the email at the correct width as well such as header 600px, main body 435px and sidebar at 165px but those always get reset automatically to 100% which i think is the cause of the problem.

Kind of stuck now as i can not send the mail which should have gone out yesterday as i have been waiting for support and the answer i did get was kind of a general one, one of the links was explaining that it is outlooks fault. I do not agree with that as constant contact is providing a service that shoud at least perform properly with a default template that has not been changed.

I hope this will get resolved as i do not want to start from scratch again with a new template that may or may not work properly with outlook!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If we have permission to go into your account, we'd be happy to take a look to see what's wrong. Can you please let us know if that's OK and also let us know what the name of the email is?

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I am also having the same problem, the email will look great in CC, gmail and on the web in firefox and chrome, but in outlook and internet explorer the formatting get all messed up. I would love some help on this as well. 

Register for our "Making Sense of Online Marketing for Retail" Webinar

Join us on Thursday, August 13th at 2pm ET for a free webinar where we'll discuss how to incorporate online marketing into your retail store.

Read More
Featured