The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Formatting issue - email does not look like preview.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Width and Formatting Issues in Outlook

Hi John,

There can still be issues with the way Outlook displays emails but this is generally caused by the way Outlook is rendering the email, not because there is anything wrong with the way your email is formatted.

If we have your permission, please let us know what the name of the email in question is and we can go into your account to adjust the HTML so that it performs well when sent to Outlook.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Jarred,

Here is a general question.  I've had this happen to me. 

Should it be expected that if a customer uses a CTCT provided template that it will work in all major platforms? Are they ever retested?  It seems that having the customer go through this isn't the right thing. I realize this is a moving target some times but there are a whole lot more of you then us.  I realize that if a customer changes the template beyond its original spec the expectation would be dismissed.

That really should be expectation don't you think?  The nuisances of the differences in email clients should be well beyond the small business owner who signs up for the product.  Just saying.

Thoughts?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

One tip which may help, without looking at your email, is adjusting the height of your images. I would make sure that no image is larger than around 1100 pixels high. This can sometimes cause weird things to happen in Outlook.

Without looking at the code of each block it's hard to identify what may be causing these display issues. Email clients do not render emails in a universal way. There's actually a site hoping that this will happen one day. Check out email standards for more info.

If you'd like us to further troubleshoot this, just reply back with the name of your email.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You answered a question I didn't ask.  :smileyhappy:

I asked about the expectation of the "official" CTCT supplied templates working in the standard email clients.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

Sorry if I misunderstood your question.  Our templates should perform well in all email clients, however due to the nature of each email client we cannot guarantee that there will be no issues.

We are constantly updating the product and do test the performance of the templates. Email display issues can still happen, but if you contact us we will do our best to minimize any issues.

I hope this helps,

Jarrad

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jarrad-

Thank you for the reply. I have 12 (!) versions of an email called "VEOD Promo" in my account. Most of the changes from version-to-version involve colors & text, but all of them appear in Outlook with an enormous - unwanted - block of color at the bottom of the right column. We're very happy with the way the email looks in Yahoo, gmail, hotmail and the web-based version you host.  I would love to be able to "freeze" the formatting so that it appears the same in Outlook somehow.

And Tony - yes, it is a standard CTCT format.

Thanks for any help!

John

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

I tested your email and I do see the space you are referring to. If you notice, there is a small space at the bottom of the email on the right side. This is exaggerated when sent to Outlook. The space is being caused because content in the left column is longer than the content in the right column.

We tried editing the style sheet and removing padding but this did not help. I escalated this to our tier 2 level of support and we came up with a two options.

1. You could change the color of the background to white so that it matches the article block's color. There would still be a space but it would be less noticeable.
  2. You could move some of the content from the left column into the right column so that the two columns are even.

I wish I had a better fix for this but we did try several workarounds and these were the two that would either remove the space or make it less noticeable.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Jarrad

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

HI Jarrad-

This is actually helpful for the reason that you have led me back to my original problem. I was using a white background - and we were very happy with it - but the border between the right & left columns vanished in Outlook. I dug around in HTML trying to add a new border between those columns for a while before giving up & deciding to try a different background color to distinguish betweenthe two boxes.

So, question #2: Is there any way to ensure that a border between the left & right columns will be visible in Outlook?

Thanks again for the help!

John

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

The only way to ensure that a border would be visible in Outlook is to have it in the foreground not in the background.

Here is our FAQ on how to add a border around your blocks.

Let me know if that answers your question!

Thanks!

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, Marisaa. That was very helpful.

BUT - that made it somewhat better in Outlook and somewhat worse in the other email services. Ideally, the "natural" border in our format would show up in Outlook, and that is apparently part of the background. Is there any way to make that happen? Or to somehow lock the formatting in place so that it opens with the same dimensions in Outlook?

Thanks again - this is definitely progress and I appreciate the help!

John

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured