The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Getting shunted by gmail

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Getting shunted by gmail

We use Constant Contact twice or more weekly to communicate with our membership, notifying them, for instance, where to meet us online. Gmail has begun classifying our messages as "promotions", causing them to disappear from our members' usual inboxes. Since we don't meet in person we don't know how extensive this misrouting of our messages is, but we have come across more than a few cases over the past two weeks.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Getting shunted by gmail

Hi @JamesH7043 

Thank you for reaching out about your email campaign! Emails sent to Gmail accounts do deliver into the Promotions tab due to settings in Gmail. Gmail moves marketing and bulk emails, such as deals, offers, and other promotional messages, into the Promotions tab. Emails sent through Constant Contact typically end up here because we are an Email Service Provider (ESP). The good news is your contacts can move your email into their Primary tab by clicking and dragging one of your emails from the Promotions tab. By doing so, all future emails from you will be delivered to the Primary tab.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

We don't send out promotions and there is no reason for our e-mails to be filed as such by gmail.

It is not accurate to state that " emails sent to Gmail accounts do deliver into the Promotions tab due to settings in Gmail". It is accurate to state that in recent weeks gmail has changed how it handles mail sent through Constant Contact, demoting it to the status of "promotions", to be ignored.

Is it also accurate to say that Constant Contact does not plan to do anything about this?

If so, we need to find another platform for distributing our e-mails. Our members are falling out of communication with us and don't know why.

Highlighted

Hello @JamesH7043 ,

This has been a regular occurrence for ESPs industry-wide with Gmail since the introduction of their promotions folders. While our developers are constantly working with email clients like Outlook, Yahoo, Google, etc. to ensure deliveries, this is something that gmail . The only workaround at the moment is to encourage your contacts to check their promotions folder and either flag your emails as okay in their regular inbox (by moving the email to the inbox tab), or encourage them to remove their promotions folder so these email types will default to the regular inbox.

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

For the record: We don't use Constant Contact because it is an e-mail sending service. We never needed help sending.

We use it because it is an e-mail formatting platform that allows us to quickly assemble a newsletter that displays fine in every browser.

I question google's motives. Is it just a coincidence that they are pinching a superior document-design service?

Highlighted
Visitor

Can you do this on a tablet, and if so, how?

Highlighted

Hello @MarcO4 ,

I'd recommend following Gmail's instructions on removing inbox tabs, to see if that's something that can be done in a similar manner on a mobile device, as it is on desktop.

William D

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured