The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

HTML in Third Generation Editor

Top Answer
Jared_M
Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently, in our Third Generation Editor we do not allow access to edit the HTML and have no immediate plans to do so. We want to provide our customers with the abilities to be able to use a user-friendly interface instead of having to rely on a code view to get their desired results. With all the feedback we have been collecting we are planning on making improvements to padding and adding some line spacing elements in the UI. I know this doesn’t solve all use cases, such as adding tables, but we will continue to make strides towards improving the editor.

I understand allowing HTML would increase the ability for more control of your content but it can also have a negative impact on your newsletter’s display in email clients.  If we provide access to HTML for every block, changing some of the default styles or content could break display when sent to an email client. Also being able to manually adjust width could have a negative effect. We have a team of amazing engineers constantly testing our templates in all email clients, so you can be certain your email displays consistently across the board. With that in mind, we want to make sure we make it easy to provide the best look and feel not only on the desktop but on mobile. With a majority of opens now leaning towards mobile over desktop we take that as a priority.

Please continue to let us know your thoughts on HTML and what exactly you're trying to do so even if we don't have HTML access we will be able to give you the tools to get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: HTML in Third Generation Editor

I'm pretty sure this will be deleted from the forum, but at least everyone following this thread will get an email about it... Since the developers don't believe we, the marketers, are competent enough to edit the html of our own emails (and they have no plans to offer us that option), they are forcing us to look to other platforms for a solution. I found a responsive template builder that is drag & drop, has the ability to edit the html, and that we can export into Constant Contact for FREE. 

To the support team providing feedback to the developers-- Please let them know that removing a functionality DOES NOT make the need go away. They are simply forcing us to seek other email builders.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

My two cents. Not having access to the HTML is extremely annoying. When I'm trying to zip through creating an email for a client, I'm copying/pasting and even though we've got the template set up w/the colors and font sizes, when I paste -- even from a text notepad -- the formatting is wiped out. If I could paste inside the html, I wouldn't knock out the formatting! Not having access costs me more time than I usually have.

Thanks,

Deb

Highlighted

We need HTMLLLLL!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

If you won't allow html blocks maybe you could make allowances to add images into text boxes and add links to individual pics? Or maybe image blocks and we can specify how wide each pic would be and then it could roll down for mobile.

I need to add (in this case) five partner logos with links in a row to the footer of my email but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this. In my last client email they had 15 partner logos with links. Thankfully they opted for Mailchimp so we got that done easily.

I personally prefer Constant Contact for many reason, but this is a major downfall for our business.

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

I agree. I'd love to move to the 3rd Gen editor for a number of its features including responsive design, A:B testing, and recent introduction of trackable links, but the limitations of the template designs coupled with the inability to edit the HTML to get around these issues, make it a non-starter for our business.

For example, each week we put out a newsletter including about 20 book jackets, brief description and link. In the 2nd Gen editor, I can generate all the code needed directly from our website (formated to fit CC's style) and then just copy and paste the entire thing into a block. If I was to have to do this by hand, it would take hours every single week. At other times, I need to be able to make a display of clickable images, usually 5 images wide, 4 high. In Gen 2, I can just paste everything into the HTML view. In Gen 3, I can't even find a way to do it, even if I was prepared to invest the enormous amount of time to build it manually image by image.

Highlighted

Agreed. And when trying "Paste and Match Style" it only keeps the source text forcing me to laboriously type everything out. Not having HTML makes this process terribly inefficient. I'm encouraging my client to switch to MailChimp which has a much more intuitive and useful interface.

Highlighted
Employee

Hello @RobinP06121,

We do completely understand what you are going through, and you can still copy and paste your text into your email and change the font from inside so you do not have to type anything out manually. Your emails need to look professional and mobile responsive, and if you need additional help editing your emails you can always contact us here or give our Support team a call! 

Zoe H.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Don't jump to the conclusion that will work without testing! I have heard that the HTML editor interface with  often hangs up and doesn't let you do your edits in the spot where you place your cursor (it just jumps around). If they don't fix that glitch, the html access is inconsistent at best.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

One of the things I liked about Constant Contact was the ability to work with the html code if necessary. It's disappointing that you dumbed it down.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I totally agree. Lack of access to the html editor is one of the main reasons I have, for the most part, stuck with the old editor. I understand you are trying to make it easier for people to work without html, but sometimes there is just something that is easier to "fix" by accessing the code.

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured