How can I upload a flyer into the body of my email - the flyer promotion is the email...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Occasional Participant

How can I upload a flyer into the body of my email - the flyer promotion is the email...

How can I upload a flyer into the body of my email - the flyer promotion is the email...Uploading a file in the library just gives me a link.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Updated: September 2017

With our new editor you have the option to turn your PDF to an email with just a few steps.

When you create an Email campaign from an imported PDF:

• An image of the PDF is added to the template. The image of your PDF can be treated just like any other image and can be resized or turned into a clickable image.
  •  A button linking to your PDF is included so your contacts can easily download it.
  • The template is automatically branded with the main color used in your PDF.

Once the template is created, you have full control to add more text content and further customize your branding. Keep in mind that sending an image-only email increases the likelihood you'll end up in the spam folder; make sure your Email campaign has a good image-to-text ratio by using headlines and adding text elements from the Build tab.

1.     From the Home or Campaigns tab, click Create.
Create2.    Click Email
Create email3.    In the top right corner Click "Import PDF to email".

Import PDF

1.    Choose a file to import by dragging and dropping the PDF file or browsing your computer

Add a brief description for your PDF. (Optional) Change the name of your PDF.

Click Continue.

1.  Edit the content of your email and click Continue when you're ready to send it to your contacts. (Optional) Edit the text of the Download button. Be sure to preview and test your email before you send it out

Here is a link to the FAQ.

If you do not have our new editor and are still using 2GE we have options for you as well.

While you cannot insert the PDF file directly into your email, the Library allows you to upload PDF documents that you can link to from within your emails.

To link to a PDF while editing an email in 2GE:

1. In your email draft, click the Edit icon for the block where you want to include the link.
  2. Place your cursor where you want the link to appear.
  3. Click the Document button in the Insert section on the left toolbar.
  4. On the Select Document screen that displays, click Upload a new document.
  5. On the Upload, a new document box, click the Browse button to search for your PDF file.
  6. Select your file and click Open.
  7. Click Upload. Your PDF file will appear in the Document Library.
  8. Click the button for the file you wish to add to your email.
  9. In the link text field, enter the text that will appear as the hyperlink for your document.
  10. Click Insert Document Link. The hyperlink appears in your email.

Another option would be to convert the pdf to an image file and insert it as the converted image.  This option is viable with both editors.

When uploading a PDF into the Library you have an option to also create a PNG image of the first page of that PDF. The image can then be inserted into your email campaign.

1.    Click Library.
  2.    Click the Upload To Library button and select My Computer.
  3.  From the Upload To Library overlay, you can either drag and drop your PDF or browse your computer to find the PDF you want to convert.

4.  Once you put the file in place your cursor over the PDF's thumbnail and click Create an Image.
Create a Image
5.  Click Confirm to create the image. The image file is automatically added to the Library and won't be seen on the Upload To Library overlay.

Create an image6.     Click Upload Files to finish uploading your PDF to the Library.
Upload file

1.    Click Done.  Now both the PDF and the PNG image are saved to the Library with the same name, but you can always edit the image information and change the name.

You can now use that PNG as an image in your email campaigns.

FAQ: Create an Image From a PDF While Uploading to the Library

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

View solution in original post

136 REPLIES 136

Hello @MSAprogram,

We're currently tracking a few reports of something similar, and trying to find out exactly what might be causing it.  For now, you can still create an image of your document the old fashioned way, with a screenshot.  To help us find the root cause though, if you could send us the original copy of the pdf you're using, we can pass that on to the engineering team for them to look at when they're tracking down the problem.  Just send that as an attachment to socialsupport(at)constantcontact(dot)com with a reference to this post, and we'll get that attached to the ongoing investigation for you.

Aaron_H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

Great addition. Keep it up.

Hello,

You can upload a PDF to Constant Contact and add link to it in your email.  There are different steps depending on what editor you are using.   

For 2GE users:

Click on the block you want to add the link to.  Highlight the text you want to be the link to your document.  Once that is done go to the left and you will see ‘Document Link”42.1.png

42.2.png

If your document:

• Is already in in the Library - Select the document from the list. You can download the document to preview it by clicking on the document name.
  • Needs to be uploaded - Click the Upload a New Document button to drag and drop your document into your Library. Then click Upload Files and Done.  

Then click Insert, click Save and then continue editing the rest of your email, here is the FAQ for this process.

For 3GE users:

Highlight the text you want to link your document to and click Link. Select Document from the Type of link drop-down menu. 42.3.png

Edit the text you want to display as the link. Select a document from your Library. If you haven't uploaded your document yet, just click Upload a New Document to add it to your Library.

Click Insert, click Done and continue editing your email, here is the FAQ for this process.

I hope that helps!

You can only use that as a link from within your email and not the body of it. It would have to be converted to a more appropriate format ( XHTML) if you wanted it to be the body of it. PDF isn't a format that can be read by email clients without the use of a secondary program like Acrobat. Regards, Tony

Thnk you for your answer to the question of being able to use a pdf as the actual message. I have a need to do just that, use the exact pdf as the actual message. Boy, it would be SO great if we could do that!!

I see you mentioned that the pdf would need to be converted, and by that I am guessing you mean created, as I am not aware of a pdf to HXTML converter. I am so rusty with HTML as to be virtually useless with it. I know CC offers their services to create a custom template for us, but I can't do that due to budget constraints.

Do you have any advice on how that could be done? Are there any super easy XHTML 'programs' out there?

Thanks in advance,

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

You can actually convert your PDF to a JPG using this free website, Neevia.  Then you can save your JPG and then upload it into your email.  Just make sure you do have some text in your email as well. Many spammers send out only images and we don't want your email to get blocked by filters because they think it's "spam".

Hope that helps!

Frequent Participant

Thank you Marissa, I will check it out!

You're welcome! :smileyface:

When doing that is there a specific template you recommend in order to upload the JPG to be most of your email, barring some text to prevent filtering? 

Hi,

I would suggest you use our Business Letters Basic template and add your image to the Company logo block.

I hope this helps,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Frequent Participant

Jarrad thanks for that pointer... I was able to convert the document and insert it but the result was so small it wasn't worth it. I am guessing the template I used was not the best for what I wanted to do. I'll try your suggestion.

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

Happy to help! Let us know how that goes.

Thanks,

Jarrad

Frequent Participant

And that worked great! The Business Basic template was such a better fit than the other template I tried (can't even remember it). I am so glad this works... it gives us an opportunity to have that specialized look to our messages without the hefty programming skills necessary for the html solution.

I see some posters ask for us to mark their messages as an 'accepted solution' but cannot see where that option is. I'd gladly mark yours that way, and in the meantime I'll give you kudos. :smileyface:

Jeanne

Hi,

Thanks for the kudos! I'm happy that worked!

To mark an answer as a Accepted Solution, you would need to be the author of the post.

I'm happy I could help!

Jarrad

Frequent Participant

Ok thanks Jarrad!

Anytime!

Jarrad

Frequent Participant

UPDATE: I have been using this solution for a while now and it continues to be great. The one limiting aspect of it however, is that no links can be live within the image. I found that out quite embarrassingly just recently when a VIP contacted our President asking why our links didn't work. OOOOPS!!!

I am trying to circumvent this by not having links in the jpg image of our newsletter per se, and just adding a box at the bottom with info/links in it. This also is a great way to provide that informational content that servers are looking for so they don't mark the communication as spam because it only has a picture as the content.

jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

I'm happy to hear this has worked so well for you, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Great idea about how to add in the links, having the text helps the email stay out of junk folders. Also, with the links inserted the way you describe you get to take advantage of Constant Contact's tracking to see how popular they are!

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Hi, I am very new and would like to be able to simply add a doc that has already been created into my email blast.  I know this can be done but don't know how to accomplish this. Can someone give me instruction?  I'd really appeciate it.

Thanks,

Linnea

Hi there, 

Are you wanting the document to display? Is it an image? Because there are two options: you can convert it to a .jpg file using www.zamzar.com and upload the image into the library to then insert into your email. Or, if you just want it to function as an attachment, you will upload the document into the library and link to the document with a sentence. 

Hope that helps! 

Bria
Social Support and Community

A lot of our customers prefer using a PDF file that they have designed or someone else has designed for them (like a Flyer or a Poster) and inserting that as the main body of their email. This is a great way to save time as you don’t have to build and design your email from scratch.

We do not recommend doing this all the time though as there are some email clients that block single image emails or reroute them to the Spam or Junk Mail folder.

If this is how you want to send out your email, we have some great tips for you to make sure your email displays and gets delivered to your contacts successfully.

Tip 1: You need to convert the PDF file as an image first

A PDF file can only be inserted as a link while an Image can be inserted in the block to display as an actual picture. Accepted Image formats are JPG, PNG and GIF.

Two ways to convert it:

1. You can use a free online converter like http://pdf2jpg.net/ or http://www.zamzar.com/

*When converting from PDF to JPG, you can choose the default 150 DPI or the 300 DPI for better quality (but a larger file).

2. You can take a screenshot of your PDF file and paste that in an image editor like Paint.  Here are the steps on how you can take a screenshot:  Make a Screenshot of my Document

Tip 2: Optimize your Image

Depending on the layout and design of your PDF, you want to make sure it’s optimized so that it displays clearly.

Image width: Save it at 800 pixels wide – this is the maximum width that the system accepts and this makes sure your image displays at its best resolution

Image Format: If your PDF is text-heavy, save it as a PNG file. If it’s just an image with a few text, a JPG format works

Tip 3: You want to use one of our image-based templates

Choose from any of these templates: Cards - My Image I,  Cards - My Image II,  Basic Pack – Card,  Promotions - My Image I, Promotions - My Image II

Tip 4: Include text in the email to prevent delivery issues

You want to leave a header block at the top with text so your email doesn't display blank in case the images do not download right away. You also want to add a small message or closing block in the body of your email as well as a company info block. All these blocks are pretty simple to add and edit but contribute immensely to the successful delivery of your email.

Post.png

Tip 5: Add a Webpage Version to your header.

Here’s how:  Hover your mouse over the Header Options section at the top of your email and click the pencil to edit. Check the webpage version box on the window that displays and click ok.

Webpage.png

And last but not the least, something a lot of customers forget,

Tip 6: Create a text version of your email

1. While editing your email, click the Text button at the top of the Customize Your Email page.
  2. On the text version of your email that displays, make edits as necessary or type in text that will display if your image doesn't.
  3. Click Save.

Following these tips will help ensure that your email displays and delivers successfully. I hope you find this very useful when you create your next “PDF email.” Please feel free to share any comments and suggestions you may have.

Anna Navarro
Social Support and Community