The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

How do I add a new name to an existing list?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Visitor

How do I add a new name to an existing list?

The changes don't make sense!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Re: How do I add a new name to an existing list?

Updated: October 2017

Hi there. I'm sorry you're having trouble adding contacts to lists. How to do it really depends on if the contact is on your account already or if you are adding them in new.

Here are the steps for adding a new contact:

1. Click the Add Contacts button and choose Add a contact.
  2. Type in the contact's name if you have it.
  3. Type in the contact's email address.
  4. Check the box for Permission to send.
  5. Once that box is checked, you will see a line under the email address that says Add to Lists. There is a plus sign on that line. Click it.
  6. Check off the list or lists that you want to add the contact to.
  7. Click Apply.
  8. Click Save Contact, and select either Save contact or Save and add another, if you have multiple contacts to add.

If the contact has already been added, then you just need to add them to the list:

1. Search to find the contact.
  2. Click the check box by each contact you want to update or click the check box at the top to select them all.
  3. Click Manage Lists > Add to Lists.
  4. Click the check boxes for the selected lists you want to add the contacts to.
  5. Click Add.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Jeff Gilson
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Add to list

Cannot add the new contact to a list as you are adding them. This creates more work. NOT GOOD.

Tags (4)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Add to list

I'm sorry that you're having difficulty adding your new contacts to a list when adding them to your account.

When adding just 1 contact, you have to select that you have permission to send > then you will get the option to add to email list under that.

Add email to list.JPG

If you choose to enter Names and Email Address and click Continue, you are taken to this page where you click that you have permission to send and then can add to a list:

Add Contacts - Organize.JPG

And if you're adding from a file, once you designate where each row in the file is to be uploaded within your contacts, and you select you have permission, you again are given the Add to Email list option.

I hope this helps and if you need further immediate assistance, please contact our Phone Reps at 1-866-289-2101.

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Add contacts

I cannot figure out your new contacts features. It won't allow me to add contacts to lists. Please contact me immediately to help me add these contacts so I can email. Thanks

Tags (4)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Add contacts

Hi Tanya,

I'm sorry that you're having difficulty adding contacts to your lists in your account.

Here is our FAQ on how to add contacts.

If you need immediate assistance, please reach out to our phone reps at 1-866-289-2101.

I hope that helps!

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I am having the same problem. Help!

Highlighted
Employee

Updated: October 2017

Hi there. I'm sorry you're having trouble adding contacts to lists. How to do it really depends on if the contact is on your account already or if you are adding them in new.

Here are the steps for adding a new contact:

1. Click the Add Contacts button and choose Add a contact.
  2. Type in the contact's name if you have it.
  3. Type in the contact's email address.
  4. Check the box for Permission to send.
  5. Once that box is checked, you will see a line under the email address that says Add to Lists. There is a plus sign on that line. Click it.
  6. Check off the list or lists that you want to add the contact to.
  7. Click Apply.
  8. Click Save Contact, and select either Save contact or Save and add another, if you have multiple contacts to add.

If the contact has already been added, then you just need to add them to the list:

1. Search to find the contact.
  2. Click the check box by each contact you want to update or click the check box at the top to select them all.
  3. Click Manage Lists > Add to Lists.
  4. Click the check boxes for the selected lists you want to add the contacts to.
  5. Click Add.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Jeff Gilson
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

I added the emails but now I cannot find how to add the names to those emails. HELP! Sometime changes are not BETTER!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Shirley,

I'd be happy to help you with this.

If you have a file, you can just add a column with the names on it and then re-import the file using the Update feature in Contacts > Add a Contact > Add a file. 

Our system will update them for you.

Or you can also go through all of your contacts individually, click on each one > that will bring you to the contact details area. In this area, you can click on where the First Name would be to add it.

I hope that helps!

For immediate assistance, our phone reps are available at 1-866-289-2101.

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

I am having the same problem - I can choose a list but there is no command to add an existing contact. when I choose the contact, the "add to list" box at the top is greyed out.

ARGH!  Please help.

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured