Automation step headers missing (see Top Answer)

BrandonL697
Campaign Collaborator

I created a 14 day drip campaign for our users who signed up for a 14 day trial. 

I can't seem to find how to edit the subject line for each of the emails. The subject lines are all blank.  I know when I create a single email I have a settings section where I can write the subject and he preview text. 

I can't seem to find that option for a sequence of emails. 

Top Answer
William_A
Administrator

Hello,

It appears this is a recent issue discovered when CPE-type emails are built within legacy automation series, rather than copied in. The issue results in the header of the emails being wholly unavailable to view and edit. I've tracked the issue to your case, and submitted it to the engineers for further review. If and when they have an update, they'll notify you directly. At this time, they're still collecting info and troubleshooting, so there's no ETA on a fix at this time. If and when there is one, we'll make sure this thread is updated accordingly.

In the meantime, the best workaround would be to copy an existing email from outside of the series into your series for the steps, as those copied templates do show the headers for viewing and editing.

33 REPLIES 33
Amanda_G
Employee
0 Votes

Hi @BrandonL697 , 

Great question! The subject lines for automation campaigns are edited in a similar fashion to the subject lines in regular campaigns. You need to edit the message settings/header area to be able to customize that for each individual campaign. 

Amanda G.
Community & Social Care
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
BrandonL697
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Thank you Amanda. 

I am still struggling with this. I have disabled the campaign but I am still not getting access to the Settings button to make these changes. 

This is what I get. Just a blank screen.  I waited 5 minutes. 

BrandonL697_0-1648558838838.png

BrandonL697
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

I must be missing something really easy.  

I copied the campaign and have it in draft mode. When I open each email (in draft mode) to edit the email settings, I don't see the option anywhere. 

BrandonL697_1-1648559747993.png

William_A
Administrator

Hello,

It appears this is a recent issue discovered when CPE-type emails are built within legacy automation series, rather than copied in. The issue results in the header of the emails being wholly unavailable to view and edit. I've tracked the issue to your case, and submitted it to the engineers for further review. If and when they have an update, they'll notify you directly. At this time, they're still collecting info and troubleshooting, so there's no ETA on a fix at this time. If and when there is one, we'll make sure this thread is updated accordingly.

In the meantime, the best workaround would be to copy an existing email from outside of the series into your series for the steps, as those copied templates do show the headers for viewing and editing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
InspiritusYoga
Campaign Collaborator
I am experiencing this issue, too. It has been four months since this reply. Is there any desire to make subject lines for automated emails functional?
Zoe_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @InspiritusYoga,

I've tracked the issue to your case, and submitted it to the engineers for further review. If and when they have an update, they'll notify you directly. Due to the recency of the issue, they're still collecting info and troubleshooting, so there's no ETA on a fix at this time.

In the meantime, the only workaround would be to copy an existing email from outside of the series into your series for the steps, as those copied templates do show the headers for viewing and editing.

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
AwakenLasVegas
Campaign Contributor

I'm trying to set up an automatic email sereis for this weekend and this is a deal breaker for me has anyone found a work around to it yet??????

erics0142
Campaign Expert

You ARE kidding, right? 

We can't change the  default settings for these, without copying every email in the series?

HOW is this possible?

erics0142
Campaign Expert

This problem has existed unresolved for a year????

KaraL87689
Rookie
0 Votes
In the Trigger Email I don't see where to edit the subject line for this trigger email.
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @KaraL87689 ,

At this time, there is an issue with CPE emails created from within a legacy automation series not having their headers available to edit. The only workaround would be to make the email wholly outside the automation series, or at least just getting it started, and then copying that into the series. You can copy the step from within going forward after that, and it should retain the ability to have its own individually set subject line.

William A
LynnF4286
Campaign Contributor

Has there been any progress on fixing this? I now have to completely recreate the email that was in my sequence.

robertd09
Campaign Collaborator

Still experiencing this 12/16/22. Absurd this hasn't been fixed by now.

user30716
Rookie

How has this not been fixed yet?? Deal breaker for the service. Waste of time

AshleyF8939
Campaign Contributor
This is beyond frustrating that this is still an issue in January 2023 and I just upgraded my account to have access to additional features. When do you expect an actual resolution?
KendallA9
Campaign Contributor

No solution?  Geez

DeForestSoaries
Rookie

I selected a template to build out an auto responder for when a person joins a mailing list.  I've edited the template nicely but cannot find where or how to edit the headers. 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @DeForestSoaries ,

At this time, there is an issue with CPE emails created from within an automation series not having their headers available to edit. The only workaround would be to make the email wholly outside the automation series, or at least just getting it started, and then copying that into the series. You can copy the step from within going forward after that, and it should retain the ability to have its own individually set subject line.

William A
user091136
Campaign Collaborator

Hi,

There isn't a way to define email subjects when creating an automated series.

Video here to demonstrate...

https://www.loom.com/share/171b07ee074446de994e3980f0c5a287

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @user091136 ,

At this time, there is an issue with CPE emails created from within an automation series not having their headers available to edit. The only workaround would be to make the email wholly outside the automation series, or at least just getting it started, and then copying that into the series. You can copy the step from within going forward after that, and it should retain the ability to have its own individually set subject line.

William A
AustinL6
Rookie

I am also struggling with this issue; if someone could get this resolved ASAP. Thanks.

KarissaW7
Rookie

I'm having the same issue...the header doesn't appear in the automated email builder as it does when I'm building an individual email. so the test is sending with "no subject" and "you don't want to miss this' as the pre-header, which i did not add anywhere.

KATHLEENH998
Rookie
0 Votes
The normal header bar that allows you to set the subject line on the email creation page hasn't been showing up for me for several days. How do I set a subject line? (especially if there's a way to do it without that bar)
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @KATHLEENH998 ,

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST