How email opens are tracked - "Mark as Read"

SOLVED
Go to solution
RebeccaM518
Constant Contact Partner
0 Votes

A client had asked the question, and I honestly wasn't sure of the answer, so I figured I would reach out and find out. When an email recipient has a marketing email they haven't opened yet, and they use the feature "Mark as Read" on their email inbox to mark whatever they selected as read, does that count as an open? The email recipient never clicked on the marketing email, but the email feature "Mark as Read" marked it as a read email, does that count as an opened email for the open rate percentage? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @RebeccaM518 ,

I'd recommend going through our main article on how opens are tracked. Unless the contact's email program "downloads" or "displays" images upon clicking the Mark As Read function, then it's unlikely that would count as them actually opening it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @RebeccaM518 ,

I'd recommend going through our main article on how opens are tracked. Unless the contact's email program "downloads" or "displays" images upon clicking the Mark As Read function, then it's unlikely that would count as them actually opening it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST