How to Make a Background Image Non-Repeating

AlanK6
Regular Participant

How to Make a Background Image Non-Repeating

Hello,
We are trying to send out an email blast with a background image instead of a solid color. I have one selected through the custom pattern option, but it repeats. I would like to have the background picture fill the whole background, definitely not repeating.

I am new to editing with pictures and constant contact. Any help will be most appreciated!
Thank you
Here is a picture of what has happens:

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 4.25.10 PM.png

This is how I want the background to look, with it filling the whole background block.:
paintingbackup2.jpg

Top Answer
Jared_M
Employee

Hi Everyone,

I want to first apologize for the issues this has been causing everyone.  I am the Product Manager of our 3rd Generation Editor and value all feedback given from our customers.  I would like to add some color as to why some functionality might seem limited or not meet everyone's exact needs.

One of our main goals that we strive for is trying to make our emails display correctly in all email clients which introduces some challenges.  Each email client (Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo etc) reads and renders emails differently. For example many versions of Outlook completely strip all background images . In order to display background images in Outlook we include a snippet of VML code in the email which Outlook *does* render. The only downside to this technique is that the VML code only supports tiling. Outlook ranks third in total overall opens so we want to ensure your background images display there and feel this is more important than opening up other background options that wouldn’t work in Outlook.

Constant Contact also has some restrictions on images that are allowed to be imported into MyLibrary.  Images cannot exceed 800 pixels in width. If a customer chose to do anything other than tile the image it could be either distorted (due to it stretching to fit the email display window) or would be so small that it would be hidden by the email content area.

We try to make your editing experience ideal but do understand we can always improve.  We are always on the lookout for new techniques for background images that all email clients support. Our goal is to make sure your emails looks great in each email client and you have the functionality and features to make them unique to your business and brand.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions but I hope at least this helps with an explanation why some of our features might not seem “complete”.

66 REPLIES 66

If you appreciated our feedback, you guys would actually fix this problem, instead of just robotically telling us how much you appreciate our feedback for 2 years straight.  It's obviously a problem that is annoying a lot of your customers (scroll through this thread and you'll see that). And these are the only ones taking the time to write you about it. I can't imagine how many other customers you have out there who aren't writing about it, but who are also very frustrated about this. With all due respect - please stop applauding our feedback and DO SOMETHING to resolve the problems outlined in our feedback.  I mean... are you guys deaf, or do you simply not care because you consider the folks speaking out a small army? Either way - it's outrageous. 

ErikaB7
Real Estate

Just another person who scrolled through this 2 year long thread to see if there had been any attempt at addressing this. I would have been thrilled if just more background options were added but instead I'm supposed to dig through another site? As many people have states above, your competitors don't have this problem so it's crazy that you do. I understand the tile issue but I can't fathom why you wouldn't have added more background options to appease people instead of telling them to go somewhere else. 

There were two replies to my comment and it seems CC deleted them but the responses were email to me so here they are again:

MariaS05 (Member) posted a new reply (5:18 p.m.)

Thanks for your support in this, but don't hold your breath for anything other than the same 2 year old, stock/robotic "we appreciate your feedback and will forward it along to our tech team" reply for the Constant Contact team. Two years later and that's all any of us have heard with as you rightly pointed out - not even a single new background option. I think at this point, it's safe to say that the only way they will do anything to resolve this issue is if people start taking their business elsewhere. It's such an joke that they just keep ignoring all of us. Let alone for TWO YEARS. 

MariaS05 (Member) posted a new reply (5:25 p.m.)

If you appreciated our feedback, you guys would actually fix this problem, instead of just robotically telling us how much you appreciate our feedback for 2 years straight.  It's obviously a problem that is annoying a lot of your customers (scroll through this thread and you'll see that). And these are the only ones taking the time to write you about it. I can't imagine how many other customers you have out there who aren't writing about it, but who are also very frustrated about this. With all due respect - please stop applauding our feedback and DO SOMETHING to resolve the problems outlined in our feedback.  I mean... are you guys deaf, or do you simply not care because you consider the folks speaking out a small army? Either way - it's outrageous. 

Melissa9800
Participant

Its May 2021 and this is still an issue??!!  Incredible.  I do not understand how the preset abstract images can be stretched and not repeat in the background but all uploaded images do.  Can you create more stock abstract art that can be used for the background.  Maybe a shining sun background, overview of a city, a park, playground, different types of water (river, lake, waterfall, different pools).  The stock grass and water options are okay but get limited after using them frequently.  PLEASE listen to your customer base and make some updates.