How to Make a Background Image Non-Repeating

AlanK6
Regular Participant

How to Make a Background Image Non-Repeating

Hello,
We are trying to send out an email blast with a background image instead of a solid color. I have one selected through the custom pattern option, but it repeats. I would like to have the background picture fill the whole background, definitely not repeating.

I am new to editing with pictures and constant contact. Any help will be most appreciated!
Thank you
Here is a picture of what has happens:

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 4.25.10 PM.png

This is how I want the background to look, with it filling the whole background block.:
paintingbackup2.jpg

Top Answer
Jared_M
Employee

Hi Everyone,

I want to first apologize for the issues this has been causing everyone.  I am the Product Manager of our 3rd Generation Editor and value all feedback given from our customers.  I would like to add some color as to why some functionality might seem limited or not meet everyone's exact needs.

One of our main goals that we strive for is trying to make our emails display correctly in all email clients which introduces some challenges.  Each email client (Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo etc) reads and renders emails differently. For example many versions of Outlook completely strip all background images . In order to display background images in Outlook we include a snippet of VML code in the email which Outlook *does* render. The only downside to this technique is that the VML code only supports tiling. Outlook ranks third in total overall opens so we want to ensure your background images display there and feel this is more important than opening up other background options that wouldn’t work in Outlook.

Constant Contact also has some restrictions on images that are allowed to be imported into MyLibrary.  Images cannot exceed 800 pixels in width. If a customer chose to do anything other than tile the image it could be either distorted (due to it stretching to fit the email display window) or would be so small that it would be hidden by the email content area.

We try to make your editing experience ideal but do understand we can always improve.  We are always on the lookout for new techniques for background images that all email clients support. Our goal is to make sure your emails looks great in each email client and you have the functionality and features to make them unique to your business and brand.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions but I hope at least this helps with an explanation why some of our features might not seem “complete”.

66 REPLIES 66
ZeenaM7
Health Practitioners & Centers

Would 100% work?

Hi @ZeenaM7 

I apologize, at this time there is no workaround we can provide that will 100% solve this request. In the meantime this feature request has been tracked in your account and submitted to our Product Team.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
JohnC986
Regular Participant

As it has been suggested to your company many many times, if you can't make a work around to this issue, then you should add a whole lot more of standard background options.  Holidays, themes, images, etc.  This gets more and more frustrating and limited for everyone. I cannot understand why this has YET to be implemented.

Hello @JohnC986,

That is an amazing idea and I will definitely submit your feedback on this! This is something we are currently working on and we really appreciate your input. Thank you! 

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
AntoniaP69
Regular Participant

THIS IS RIDICULOUS

You are clearly still not listening. This is a year's long request. Saying the same thing over the course of years, that your compe... you know what, I officially give up and am probably going to pull two clients from your service and port them over to another platform. This being the straw that breaks the camels back, and you losing business bc of it, is the poorest reflection on Gail Goodman I could imagine. How easy this could have been to fix and how many people it has frustrated over the course of years. 

MichaelM4641
Occasional Participant

I am astounded to see that this has been an issue for more than 2 years and, this morning, I am also dealing with it.  Unacceptable.

Definitely agree there. I'm ready to jump ship to . They don't have this issue. Their support isn't as robust however once you learn a bit on your own and get over that initial hump of "newness", you really don't need much support. 

SusanH4578
Regular Participant

Absolutely absurd that this hasn't been addressed. 

PamelaS399
Occasional Participant

Is this still an issue?  I'm about to move my business elsewhere if this has not been fixed...

Still an issue... I just came here to read through and see if anyone had offered a resolution, but clearly nothing has been done. Still the same boring backgrounds and images still tile when you upload your own. Additionally, you can't upload an image large enough to make the tiling more subtle. SO frustrating. 

MalloryD04
Regular Participant

In case anyone is looking for patterns that do tile slightly better, this site is okay: https://www.toptal.com/designers/subtlepatterns/page/3/ still not a great option, since I wanted to upload one of my own images to use... 

MariaS05

It is truly terrible that Constant Contact has all of these complaints submitted to them, and yet they have still done absolutely NOTHING to fix this problem literally 3 YEARS after the first complaint. What a joke!

@MariaS05 

I apologize the ability to have images not repeat has not yet been implemented. There is also no specific image size we can share to stop it from repeating as the size would depend on the client and device your email is being viewed through.

When you use a custom image, it tiles behind your email content. The size of your image and the length of your email can affect how the tiles render. For example, longer emails with smaller images have more tiling than shorter emails with larger images.

We agree, the best background images appear seamless so you can't tell where one tile ends and the next begins. If you're looking for a subtle image that tiles correctly, there are hundreds of opensource images available from Toptal.com.

Mary S.

EllenB52
Participant

You have a LOT of highly annoyed customers, myself included. Way to be tone-deaf in  a market where you have a LOT of competition but refuse to find solutions to very basic and easy-to-fix issues. I think we will be considering finding another provider, seeing that after years of people asking you to fix this and you've made no effort to fix it, it doesn't give me hope that other problems will get fixed.

Hello @EllenB52,

Thank you for your feedback! I will gladly submit this over to our engineers for review as we do know that other customers are interested in this feature request this as well. We will reach out to you with any updates! 

Zoe H.

Thanks but we've been hearing for 2 YEARS that you guys will forward along our feedback, and clearly no one has done a single thing to resolve this, so you'll have to forgive me that I am NOT at all optimistic. 

I'm glad you found a way to work around the problem, but it's still a crying shame that Constant Contact will not actually FIX the problem so we don't have to find work arounds. 

Hello @MariaS05,

We appreciate your feedback and will reach out if any more updates happen. Thanks! 

Zoe H.

Deleting customer comments? 

Thanks for your support in this, but don't hold your breath for anything other than the same 2 year old, stock/robotic "we appreciate your feedback and will forward it along to our tech team" reply for the Constant Contact team. Two years later and that's all any of us have heard with as you rightly pointed out - not even a single new background option. I think at this point, it's safe to say that the only way they will do anything to resolve this issue is if people start taking their business elsewhere. It's such an joke that they just keep ignoring all of us. Let alone for TWO YEARS.