The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

How to insert contact detail which is a unique link

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

How to insert contact detail which is a unique link

Hello,

I wanted to use the option to insert a contact detail which is a unique link in my case. This link works as an update profile link for our CRM system. 

The issue is wen I add this contact detail to the newsletter it shows the whole URL. Our aim is to have the possibility to 'hide' this url unique link behind a specific word as a standard link option. 
I wanted to ask if this is possible and if yes, how could I do this?

Thank you for your support!

Kind Regards, 

David

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: How to insert contact detail which is a unique link

Hi @TraceyC6525 

What is the email campaign you are working in? I have taken a look at your account and can see you work in both our older Legacy Newsletters and the newer Email Newsletters in our Third Generation Editor. While you can include a dynamic link through our custom code editor, I apologize this feature is not available in our Third Generation Editor. While you can include these links as a custom field, there is not a way to put clickable text for the URL. Instead the full URL will get inserted in the email. Being able to create this dynamic link with editable text is a feature request we have submitted in your account.

While on the other hand in our Legacy Newsletter templates, you can alert this link text. When creating a link, in the Text to display as link field, add the text you want your contacts to see as the link. You ten suggest unchecking the "Track" option as a dynamic link won't function properly if tracking is enabled for it. In the Link URL field is where you can enter your URL with the variable added to the end.Enter your URL into the Link URL field with the variable added to the end (Example: https://www.yourdomainhere.com/$Subscriber.Email$).

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Hi @Frankie_P,

Thank you for you prompt reply. I am a new user in CC and I am still testing possibilities here. I work in campaign DK_test_5 which should be the new version of CC probably. Then I copied a campaign from colleague which looks different so this might be the older version (DK_test_6) The testing contact list I have with my colleagues in with the attributes like the unique contact link (for updating profile/subscribing&unsubscribing)

I tried to use the old legacy Newsletter then but do not know what attribute/code (e.g. %UPDATE_PROFILE_LINK% or {Update Profile Link} ) to use as href. 

I see that in the newsletter I tested there is this span:

<span class="contact-detail" data-id="UPDATE_PROFILE_LINK">Update profile</span>

the full URL which is shown in the newsletter is :

https://www.ledvance.com/professional/services/newsletter/index.jsp?l=EN&p=E_LETTER_GL_PROF&mig=000D...

so not sure if I put href="https://www.ledvance.com/$UPDATE_PROFILE_LINK$" would work.

Maybe you can help me here. As this possibility would make our CRM system updated. 

Thank you in advance & looking forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Highlighted
Administrator

Hi @TraceyC6525. Yes, I see that one of your drafts is using our third-generation editor. This editor does not include the ability to create dynamic links at this time but it is a feature request that we are tracking. I would suggest using your other copy since this editor does include the ability to insert dynamic links. 

If each contact has their own attribute, you could upload it as a custom field (such as Profile Link) then include it as a variable to create a dynamic link. In this example it would appear as such: http://www.website.com/$Subscriber.Custom.Profile_Link I'll include a link on how to insert personal details, such as a custom field, so you can see more examples. The link is for custom code emails but the table included is helpful

dynamic link.png

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Hi @Catlin_M, 

I tried it in several sends and unfortunately even if I divide the full url into www.ourwebsite.com/ and the second part as "UpdateProfile" attribute the code does not change and stays as https://www.ourwebsite.com/$Subscriber.Custom.UpdateProfile so an error link comes up.

i tried it also with &Subscriber.Email just to see if it gets transformed to an email address but no luck. 

It always shows as $Subscriber.Email/Custom.UpdateProfile. 

Please let me know if you see something I might be doing wrong. (Campaign: DK_test_12)

Thank you in advance & Kind Regards, 

Highlighted

Hi @TraceyC6525 

Thank you for following up with these details. I have taken a look at the campaign you’ve mentioned and can see it was sent with the attribute as $Subscriber.Email like you mentioned. A link with this attribute will open to an error message because these dynamic links do not open to emails. Instead that would be done through a mailto link. It’s also important to note you would want to place an underscore between the two words of your custom field. So for example this Update Profile field would be inserted as Update_Profile. Does this dynamic link open correctly when the URL is inserted as https://www.ourwebsite.com/$Subscriber.Custom.Update_Profile instead? I would suggest sending yourself the updated link through Support Copy of DK_test_12 as dynamic links only work in a full send and not test emails.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured