How to send to List A, but exclude those people who also appear on List B

SOLVED
Go to solution

How to send to List A, but exclude those people who also appear on List B

The subject header says it all.

I've got a giant list of customers in California.

But I've also got a list of "Customers of Client X".

Now I want to do a mailing to my giant California list, but need to EXCLUDE anyone on that list who is also in the "Customers of Client X" list.

Can someone please explain how you can easily do this in Constant Contact? 

I have been using another email provider, and this was simple to do.  You simply selected the California list as a "send to" list, and told the system to exclude anyone on the "Customers of Client X" list.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Employee

Hello @TrustinusLLC , 

UPDATED: December 2019

Users with less than 10,000 contacts in their account have the option to tag the unwanted list and limit their recipients by this tag. This feature is however not available in account with over 10,000 contacts in it. Instead we suggest following these steps to create a list for the desired tagged contacts and schedule the email to this list instead.

---------

At this time, in order to perform this action within your account you would need to create the list of contacts to send to.  In order to do this, there are a few steps involved: 

1. Create a duplicate list of the California list, you can name this something like California minus Clients of X. 
  2. Go to the "Customers of Client X" list (the one you want to exclude).  Select all of the contacts. 
  3. Remove these "Customers of Client X" contacts from your new California minus Clients of X list.
  4. Once this action is complete, the new list will be left with all contacts who were within the original California list, that were not on the Clients of X list.

The other option, if you are using a third-generation campaign, is to add all of "Clients of X" to a tag and then choose the "Don't send to contacts who are also tagged with" option when scheduling an email. 

If you need any help with this or have further questions, please let us know.  

View solution in original post

80 REPLIES 80