Image clarity

NancyP235
Brand Visionary

I'm having consistent issues with header image clarity in campaigns. We've reviewed all the material in the knowledge base re: image size, file size, file type, etc and the header we use in nearly all campaigns still comes out blurry in some use cases. Specifically, one version of the image registers crisp on Mac and fuzzy on PC, and another vice versa (both versions of the image comport with the CC image guidelines, both images render fine on mobile, and both were tested on Chrome on the different OSes). If there was a consistent, reliable set of specs for image upload that would be hugely helpful. 

5 REPLIES 5
Amanda_G
Employee

Hi @NancyP235 ,

I took a look at your header image, and I see what you are referring to. Although the image is under the 600px wide guideline, and within the file type and size guidelines, the images in your library are small width wise. One is 200px wide, and the other is 407px wide. Our templates are standard 600px wide, so when you insert an image that is smaller than 600px into your template and enlarge it to fit the width of the template, you might see some blurriness. The opposite is true as well - if you upload a larger image and drastically reduce the size, you may see some loss of quality. I would advise uploading the image at exactly the size you would like it to appear in the template, and not expanding or reducing it within the template beyond that. 

Amanda G.
Community & Social Care
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
NancyP235
Brand Visionary
0 Votes

Hi Amanda, 

Thank you, but the images in question are 600 pixels wide and 1200 pixels wide. (A number of test header images exist in our library, but they are not and have never been in use in campaigns). The header images in use are:

600 pixels wide: https://files.constantcontact.com/c7d8e5b0601/225281ac-2107-4c9d-a0e0-6e36f8d632b8.png?rdr=true

1200 pixels wide: https://files.ctctusercontent.com/c7d8e5b0601/b9de3ef7-df3e-4d92-b902-c11a6c392cf2.png?rdr=true

One of these images appears clear on Chrome/PC and fuzzy on Chrome/Mac, and the other vice versa. The guidelines here indicate that image dimensions should fall between 600 and 1200 pixels wide, which these are. Are there image or template specs that differ from these guidelines? Is there guidance on why the same image might appear differently on different OSes?

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Is there a difference in the DPi (dots per inch) between your Mac and PC devices' displays? It's entirely possible that if the resolution on one device is massively different in quality / size, then it can result in one image looking better - the smaller image looking better on a lower res display, and the bigger image looking clearer on a higher res display.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
NancyP235
Brand Visionary
0 Votes

Thanks William. It's possible that the DPIs are different, but there is not an apparently massive difference in quality/size, no. Both are new devices, professionally/institutionally maintained, with displays set to the manufacturers' recommendations. Also, the issue is contained to the header image—no other images are affected, either within campaigns or elsewhere across the browsers and operating systems. It's likely that many/most of our subscribers are using similar displays. 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Which one is fuzzy on Mac, and which one is fuzzy on PC? Is the fuzziness consistent across all devices of those types you're able to test on - i.e. is the one that's fuzzy on your Mac fuzzy across all other departments' Macs? 

What is the source of the logo you're using? On your main website, the only logo I can find is a 488x53 size image, which seems to be its native resolution. If the 1200 version of your logo was generated from that or a screencap of it, there'll be some inherent fuzziness that some devices' displays may exacerbate. Even in your Library, I can see some fuzziness on the 1200 version, like it's been slightly blown up. Are you able to grab a higher res version of your logo from anywhere else, or does your department, college, or facility have a library of logos at various resolutions?

I also tried compressing your 1200 logo as far as file size, to see if that would positively affect its appearance. If you're able to, try seeing if the compressed logo (will be most recent upload with a -min on the end) will show properly on your PC, Mac, and mobile devices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST