Immediate clicks after sending

Genalog
Regular Participant

Immediate clicks after sending

Good afternoon,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. It's becoming difficult to trust my click through lists due to the fact that in many cases I get examples of all employees at a certain company seem to click on all the links possible, all with the same time stamp. Same goes for some individuals. It started as only a few but is now getting hard to tell who has really clicked on anything. 
At first I thought it must be some sort of error with the customer company email systems but how would constant contact read automatic things as actual clicks?

Anyone else have the same issue?

Kind regards,

Duncan

Top Answer
William_D

Hello everyone!

Our devs have just improved our system to detect which clicks come from humans versus those from programs or bots, so we can give you a more accurate picture of your contacts' engagement with your emails. Once this change is turned on in your account, you may notice a decrease in your open and click reporting going forward, but you can have confidence that the opens and clicks reflect your contacts' actions. Any campaigns sent after will reflect this change in reporting.

One thing to note is that for the vast majority of your contacts, they won't notice any difference. The system will be sensing for Javascript as a means to determine if the little warning redirect page should appear. Bots are extremely unlikely to continue past this re-direct page, meaning they won't go through the rewritten tracking link, and thus won't affect the click reporting. Actual humans should have Java going in the background regardless, meaning that they shouldn't see the redirect page. If they do, they can easily click the button there to continue to where you've linked to (resulting in a click report).

We've already begun rolling out this updated system, and if everything goes smoothly, we'll have every account updated relatively soon. To check if you're setup for the new reporting system, or to opt-in early, please call our general support line so they can securely confirm the permissions access for your account and opt you into it.

Thank you all for your patience while our devs got this built and tested.

79 REPLIES 79
RachelM784
Occasional Participant

I received an email a couple weeks ago, saying that I was part of the group that it was being tested on, but not really any other information. And I have not seen any difference in reporting. I'm still seeing excessive clicks in my reporting.

Kyle, 

I am also seeing this issue in my account, can you add me to the list of contacts you will reach out to when there is an update?

AustinR959
Occasional Participant

We are having this same issue today. Please advise! Thanks

RobertH8823
Occasional Participant

At the least can we have a search option so we can exclude these false positives? Basically I want to search for anyone that has opened and/or clicked except for 0-2 minutes after the campaign has been sent. That should be easy since you have the reported times opened/clicked...

SeanK260
Regular Participant

I am also having the same issue starting just this week. Click rates have jumped to 40-60% on multiple different email lists and it's clear in the click timing that all the links in my email were "clicked at once" exactly as described by others in this thread. It would be great to get a solution to this issue as our sales follow up procedures are highly focused on individuals who clicked specific links. It appears that we won't be able to rely on the standard click reports going forward so we will really appreciate a fix for this issue.

Thank you!

TerryD3
Regular Participant

I have the same issue. Every employee of a local public agency appears to open out emails and click on every link as soon as I send it out. Degrades the value of our reports.

CynC7
Occasional Participant

We had a surprising number of email recipients 'click' on a button to request a demo. The button was the link to my Calendly site. While we had a number of clicks, no one scheduled a demo. This seems to be a recurring problem and I'm guessing we are doing something wrong. Is it possible that when someone opens one of our emails, because of an error on our part, the system is logging a click? For example, on one campaign where we sent 500+ emails, the click rate to schedule a demo was about 10%. However, while I would expect about 50 people would have scheduled a demo on my Calendly site, there were none. I have to believe we are doing something wrong. Ideas?

Hello @CynC7 ,

I have looked at the link atit is set up correctly. What you are seeing in the clicked link information is that the security/firewall scans all the links when the email is received. this triggers the reporting and shows all the links clicked at the exact same moment. These are not the contacts clicking the email.

Timothy_G
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
CynC7
Occasional Participant

This is very confusing. So while I "think" someone clicked a link in the email, they actually did not? If that is true, that renders Constant Contact useless as a platform for insight. I'm trying to discern who opens emails, who clicks on links and most importantly, who clicks a link to request a demo. I'm seeing 'demo clicks' that are false. It might be time to seek another solution. 

Hello @CynC7,

You are correct. When a contact has a strict firewall and security system it does have to scan all the links to make sure they are not harmful to the viewer which does show as a click in your account. I do apologize for say inconvenience this may cause as it is something that is out of our control. It is going to be very rare that someone has a firewall this strict thankfully. 

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
KenF2272
Occasional Participant

Zoe,

I am experiencing the same issue. And it is far more common than you allude. What is constant contact doing to make these metrics more reliable?

LauraV545
Consulting & Training

The high security firewalls aren't a rare occurrence anymore. In fact, with each email I send out, the inaccurate/firewall clicks are becoming more and more common. The inaccurate reports are becoming cumbersome and the value of using CC is becoming lower. What is CC doing to make these metrics more accurate? 

JimS373

What's it mean when the report shows some recipients clicking every link within an email? 

I haven't dug into it deeply, but it seems to be the same few recipients. And it's every (or most every) link, even if there are hundreds of links in the email.

I don't find it credible that humans are intentionally clicking so many links. There's probably something funky happening with their email client or the way Constant Contact is interpreting activity. But what? 

Hello @JimS373 ,

If the same set of contacts are regularly opening and clicking throughout the entirety of your links all within the same minute, they're likely using a security program that explicitly clicks the links to check their safety.

Our devs are still looking into ways our system can prevent reporting for such clicks from our end, however it is an explicit issue being caused by third party programs run by the contacts (or their IT teams). I've submitted your case to our devs, so if and when they have an update regarding this they'll notify you.

William D

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
SherryB25
Occasional Participant

I have noticed this recently and now have to manually calculate my clicks unless we decide to not email to certain domains.

HayleyK11
Occasional Participant

We are also seeing the same issue here... I have read that this is due to a security measure from the receiver's end. Is there any kind of workaround?

Genalog
Regular Participant

Hi Hayley, I haven't found one as of yet. This performance fault is also present in other email newsletter companies as unfortunately it is entirely caused by the method some companies anti-spam/virus software operates by. They sort of 'read' the emails and so it lists as a false positive.

William_D

Hello everyone,

For the sake of visibility, I'm marking this response as an Accepted Solution.

Some security programs will "click" and "read" through emails as a method of anti-malware protection. This can result in some contacts showing as "opening" the email and "clicking" every single link all within the same moment of time - typically within a minute of the email being sent out.

Unfortunately, this issue is plaguing other ESPs as well, resulting in incorrect reporting information for anyone who uses our systems as well as others. We understand that you rely on accurate engagement reporting for your important marketing and other communications.

Our engineers are currently in the process of developing and testing a way to mitigate this issue from our end, but at this time we do not have an ETA on a release for such a system. As we receive updates about development, we will make sure this Accepted Solution post is updated in turn. We'll continue to flag and respond to threads outside of this one with the same issues and concerns, and make sure their accounts are marked for engineer notifications.

William D

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
JonL54971
Consulting & Training

So, recognizing that multiple click throughs at the same time are likely indicative of security program intervention, is there any reliable way to know if the affected email addressees even received our emails?

SandraB10
Participant

We would also love to see a solution to this issue as it is throwing off our marketing program.

BethJoZ0
Occasional Participant

Please add me to the list to know when this issue is resolved