Import contact tags through a file

BurgSimpson
Rookie
0 Votes

I am updating about 900 contacts with new tags through and import. I have all the new tags in CC but when I import the file, each contact has every tag available associated with it.  HELP>

3 REPLIES 3
Zoe_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @BurgSimpson,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! Please follow the steps listed in this article here on importing contact tags through a file. If these steps are being followed and you are still experiencing an issue with matching tags to the correct contact, please provide us with more information. Thanks!  

Zoe H.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
BurgSimpson
Rookie
0 Votes

i have followed the article - step by step.  The import file as multiple tags for a given contact -- some 2, 3 or 4 tags.  Some only have one.  But, EVERY imported contact includes every tag possible not just the ones in the file. I've tried to re-import the list twice and the same thing happens each time.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

The issue is that the old info is being retained between uploads, since that's the default functionality. You need to remove all the tags for all the contacts you're trying to update so that their tag field is 100% empty. Then, on your next reupload post-tag purge, when you include the desired tags alongside the contacts, it'll actually add to them. 

If you continue to have issues, I'd strongly advise calling our general support so they can provide live assistance, and screensharing if necessary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
May 01
Constant Contact Community Walkthrough and Demo
2PM - 3:00 PM EST