The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Importing phone numbers

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Importing phone numbers

I exported a list of emails and phone numbers so I can address incorrect imports. The spreadsheet exported "Phone - home 2", "Phone - mobile 2", and "Phone - other". I made changes to those fields and need the changes to import, however, the import "Matched field names" shows those fields "Unmatched" and they are not available on the drop-down list. How do I import those changes?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Importing phone numbers

Hey there @CharlieB743,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Perhaps I can offer some insight into what's happening.

By default, we provide the Phone-Mobile, Phone-Home, and Phone-Work contact fields. However, if you have additional phone field types - or other phones in addition to the primary, respective ones - you'll need to add custom fields named in a way that matches up with that additional info. 

For example, when you're selecting field options from the dropdown menus, you'll select the Create New Custom Field option, then type in something like Phone-Mobile 2, Phone-Home 2, etc.

In the dropdown menus for each column is the ability to create a custom field. You can also preemptively create custom fields to make future contact uploads all the more convenient and efficient.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

We don't have custom fields "Phone - home 2", "Phone - mobile 2", and "Phone - other". Those are the field names that exported from Constant Contact. I adjusted the information (copied the data to the correct field and deleted the data in these columns) and want to re-import the same columns that Constant Contact exported, just with corrected (deleted) data. There are no new field names in the re-import workbook.

Highlighted

@CharlieB743 ,

Looking at the exported list I get what you mean. Phone-Mobile, Phone-Work, and Phone-Home is a relatively recent change. This sometimes results in accounts and their already-uploaded contacts, that existed before the change, to sometimes export the phone contact fields under the old terms of -Mobile 2, -Other, etc.

For the most part this is a relatively simple edit - just merge columns or rename them appropriately in the exported csv file. Or, skip providing the phone numbers altogether in your re-upload, as we will retain the original info if a column isn't re-imported to overwrite said original.

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

We want to overwrite (read as delete) the information that is in those fields. The only field we want to use is  "Phone - mobile". I have created an import sheet that has moved all of the phone numbers to that field and deleted the information in the other phone number columns. I need to import the corrections.

We have to create email lists for several different purposes and we want the export Excel worksheets from those lists that are as streamlined as possible. Currently, when we export the phone number, we get 5 different columns. We want a single phone number column in those sheets, but there is no way to identify a single phone number field for export. The recipients of these exports have very limited Excel experience and I don't want to have to reformat every Excel export that is created. If I cannot do the import from my side, I'm more than happy to send it to CC and get it imported on your side.

BTW, I'm not the owner of our CC membership. I am, however, the one who is responsible for configuring CC for our 2020 technology update.

Thanks,

Paul

Highlighted
Employee

Hello @CharlieB743,

Thank you for that information! It sounds like the easiest option for this would be to import your file into a brand new list, and then delete the other lists with incorrect information. You can send us the file if you would like, we may not be able to import it for you for liability reasons but we can take a look and find different options. Please email social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com so we can take a closer look. 

Zoe H.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured