Issues Connecting Constant Contact on a Staging Website

Occasional Participant

Issues Connecting Constant Contact on a Staging Website

There seems to be issues in being able to connect Constant Contact to a WP website that is on a 'staging site' .

I'm in the process of redoing an old website for a client -- and am doing everything initially on a 'staging site'  --

but I have been failing at being able to get a CC form to connect ---- have tried a couple different tools -- and now I am wondering if that the issue I am encountering is because I'm doing the setup on a 'staging site' which is not the same URL as the client's CC account??

Any advice about this??

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Hello @DonneD ,

Are you referring to a Wordpress website? Wordpress tends not to allow 3rd party script, which unfortunately includes the codes for inline and pop up forms made in our system. However, we do have a specific Wordpress integration that was developed to work within the Wordpress system.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

William --

Thank you for trying to help, however I need some additional information because so far nothing has worked to be able to connect the client's staging website to Constant Contact.

I'm working on this client site (who is the Constant Contact account holder) -- they have used Constant Contact on their website  for 10+ years.

They have a very old live WP website that was made using a Genesis /child theme, and for incorporating Constant Contact they used a now defunct Genesis specific plugin that was developed back before Constant Contact required an API for developer apps. This old website is currently live and functioning.

However, this old live website is so old it is no longer up-datable and needs to be modernized.

I've made a Staging copy (SiteGround)  of the live website and am working on the Staging Copy to get the theme, plugs, web tools changed out so it is using a modern, updatable theme, and plugs, etc. The Staging site is being redone using Astra theme, and incorporating Beaver Builder tools.

It 'should be' possible to add one of the Beaver Builder modules (Subscription Form) which has been developed so a WP web user can select the Constant Contact service, add their Account Name, API and Access Token (with the instructions having been to get these pieces of info through registering for a Developer Account with Constant Contact.)

I followed the information that was provided to do this -- and tried the codes ---- only to get the Staging site to 'seem' to set up on the back-side -- but on the front facing pages, when trying to test, it has not been possible to get any test entry to execute --- the Button to sign up someone will sit and sit with the words 'Please wait' -- never executing.

I have spent days of back and forth emails with Jimmy D. Tier II API Support Engineer Constant Contact web services [ ref:_00D708xak._5003n2NySfV:ref ]..... and there has been double checking codes--- Jimmy confirming codes, etc, etc -- with no success.

I have run this problem by the Beaver Builder developers and described what is happening and they come back and say that hundreds/thousands, etc use this tool and it 'should work'. The Beaver Builder techs say that they simply use the Constant Contact developer API and if a use plugs in their Account Name, API, and Access Token, then it should work -- however it does not work.

I have run this problem by SiteGround tech support to inquire is there is some 'quirk' about attempting to use their Staging site to implement a Constant Contact connection -- and they have come back and said, there is nothing on their end that they have any idea about that would play a role in my problem.

While using the Beaver Builder module to accomplish this Constant Contact connection will provide visually the desired effect --- and I don't want to abandon it as the first choice ----- I have taken the alternative steps of looking at what other ways there may be to try and connect Constant Contact to a WP website -- exploring the WP plugin that I believe you are referencing -- 'Constant Contact Forms for WordPress'.

But in trying to set this plugin up the instructions seem to show that you can connect the plug to the Constant Contact user account and then in Form Options it is possible to select the 'List' in the Constant Contact account where the subscriber should be signed up to. However, there is no option that seems visible to be able to select a "List' -- and therefore I have not been able to get this plugin option to work.

I've also looked at the Constant Contact Inline Forms and while even if this were to work, it would end up not producing the needed design concept -- but at this point, this has not been able to be made to work on the staging site.

Given all these various options have been attempted and are not working --- I am left wondering if there is some 'barrier' that is causing no option to work because these tests are being made on a Staging site -- and it has a different URL than the client's website that is associated with their Constant Contact account?

If this is a possibility, is there away that I can get some help to be able to get Constant Contact to work on this client Staging site?

If this is not a reason -- then can someone please advise what may be happening that this is not working?

As said above I have a stack of emails back and forth with Constant Contact support -- [ ref:_00D708xak._5003n2NySfV:ref ] -- and I have called in to try and talk with someone, only to be passed to another department, and be left waiting for an hour+ only to be cut off before ever talking to anyone.

Thank you in advance.

Carolin for client DonneD

Hello @DonneD ,

I see, since it appears you're already in communication with the Dev team, I'd recommend continuing on that end. They'll have more specific and specialized knowledge to be able to investigate your issue.

If any other general support questions come up, feel free to reach out to us here in the Community.

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

I'm not sure if my concern is related, but I'm trying to connect my CC sign up form with a button on my WP blog.  I'd like to insert the button within the blog for people to sign up for my emails.  Bluehost is where I have my WP through.  Am I able to do this?  I'm not sure what I need to enter into the "#link" window for this to work.  Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Annette

Hello @AnnetteD770 ,

I've taken a look at your account and see that you've created an Inline Signup form. As William mentioned, Wordpress sites do not tend to allow 3rd party signup tools. However, you may be able to install the Wordpress integration or using a landing page option. If you have additional questions about these options, please let me know! 

Amber_L

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.