Justifiy text feature looks terrible and unprofessional- why does it make huge spaces

SOLVED
Go to solution
John_Warden
Brand Influencer
0 Votes

For paragraphs, there are four choices; right, left, center or justification. 

Why does the justify feature create huge gaps instead of distributing the spacing evenly in each paragraph? The justify feature does not work the right way and does not look professional. This does not occur in any software such as Word, Google, etc. Is there a way around this? Right, left, or center is not appropriate and justify looks wrong.

Please advise how to work around or if another feature is available, thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator

Hello @John_Warden ,

That's just how justify alignment works, it spaces out words so that they'll fit on their line in the full margins of space. This is how it works for all text formatting programs, newspapers, and other systems that use that alignment. It's not meant to make all spaces the same on each line, it's meant to fit all the words it can on each line, with respect to the length of the words. This will sometimes result in very large spaces if there's too big of singular words on a single line, similar to how other justifications will have massive spaces on the ends of their lines for the same reasons. You can even see this shown on various sites that provide info on alignments, such as the Wikipedia article

If you don't want massive spaces in-between words, I'd advise using different wording to achieve space reduction on those lines. Or you can consider changing the text size, boldness, or even font if those are resulting in your words being too large and bulky to fit on the lines you want them to. Remember that you're working with slightly less than 600px of width (max), as there is padding on the sides of text blocks when they're inserted into your email. More columns will result in even less spacing for your words, and too many large words will result in odd spacing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
William_A
Administrator

Hello @John_Warden ,

That's just how justify alignment works, it spaces out words so that they'll fit on their line in the full margins of space. This is how it works for all text formatting programs, newspapers, and other systems that use that alignment. It's not meant to make all spaces the same on each line, it's meant to fit all the words it can on each line, with respect to the length of the words. This will sometimes result in very large spaces if there's too big of singular words on a single line, similar to how other justifications will have massive spaces on the ends of their lines for the same reasons. You can even see this shown on various sites that provide info on alignments, such as the Wikipedia article

If you don't want massive spaces in-between words, I'd advise using different wording to achieve space reduction on those lines. Or you can consider changing the text size, boldness, or even font if those are resulting in your words being too large and bulky to fit on the lines you want them to. Remember that you're working with slightly less than 600px of width (max), as there is padding on the sides of text blocks when they're inserted into your email. More columns will result in even less spacing for your words, and too many large words will result in odd spacing.

William A

Justify text does not work when I am working with the email tool. Nothing happens when I tried to use it. 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @CarolinaC49 ,

Did you set up the text block to be justified, or one specific section? Are you sure your current text isn't just able to fit in their lines with minimal, noticeable difference between normal left alignment vs justified?

William A
CambridgeHouse
Rookie
0 Votes

I am experiencing this issue, as well—definitely a glitch in the software, as the left, right, and center options all change the text, whereas the justify results in no change. (Tried on multiple blocks and areas of text.) There would be a significant change to the text, so I am certain I would notice a difference once applied.

William_A
Administrator

Hello @CambridgeHouse ,

I checked your latest draft, and the top several text blocks are definitely set to justified, and do show a noticeable difference between the left, right, justified, and centered alignments. 

left.PNG

Left alignment ^^^

right.PNG

Right alignment ^^^

justified.PNG

Justified alignment ^^^

center.PNG

Center alignment ^^^

There is also a noticeable difference when applied to your other action blocks as well. Currently your opener and house study are set to justified, and your house impact is set to left aligned for the text and right aligned for the quoted name. I also checked your parent email, and it was set to left alignment and showed noticeable differences when switched to right, justified, and center.

Based on what I've found in your account's emails, there isn't an issue, the text is just filling up the sections enough that you aren't noticing a particularly egregious difference for some sections. If you need to check if your text is properly aligning, highlight it and see if the behavior of the highlight matches up with the examples I have above. Left, right and center, will stop at the last word of a line, while justified should appear to be a solid block of highlighting until the last line (if it doesn't go to the edge).

William A

Thank you for the response! It looks like the justify still isn't changing the text visually while in the editor mode, but ultimately justifies it in the preview mode and after the email has been sent. (I've attached a screen recording for what I see on my end in the editor!)

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST