Mass contact editing

Occasional Participant

Mass contact editing

I uploaded a list where I moved the company name to a custom field, and left the company name field blank. It updated the custom field, but left the original data in the company field.  I wanted that field to be blank. How can I bulk delete data in a non-custom field?

1 REPLY 1
Employee

Hi CarolB160!

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question! Blank fields will not overwrite existing information so the only way to remove existing Company Names entirely is to go into each contact profile one by one, and delete the information in that field. This could potentially be a huge time commitment, so a more efficient way would be to overwrite the existing Company Names with new info such as a asterisk or other symbol. You can make excel, numbers, or sheets do all the hard work of adding the symbol in the Company Name column.

There are multiple ways to do this, but the one that worked for me was

• Select all the cells in a column.
  • Press F2 to edit the top selected cell and type some data : it can be text, a number, or a formula (e.g. "_unknown_")
  • Press Ctrl+Enter instead of Enter. All the selected cells will be filled with the data that you typed.

Kara.D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.