Non-breaking space

gimmeLIVE
Constant Contact Partner

Is there any way to add a non-breaking space (similar to the HTML   ) using the new Third Generation Editor?

14 REPLIES 14
Desi_B
Employee
0 Votes

Hey @gimmeLIVE,

Thank you for reaching out to us! That is a great question. So it does depend on when you are attempting to use a non-breaking space within an email. If it's in the middle of a text block to separate paragraphs, I would recommend making the paragraphs separate blocks since the spacing is built into them. Or in some instances, you might just need to us the spacer block that is located within the Build toolbar on the left. If you provide an example I'd be happy to recommend what would work instead. Thank you for your time! 

Desi_B
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
PorterW5
Campaign Expert

I need a certain amount of space in between words/dashes within a text block to make it look nice graphically. Is there a way to use   within the 3rd gen editor? It would be really nice if we had the ability to see and edit the HTML code in general. Thanks! 

Aaron_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @PorterW5,

There isn't currently a way of adding non-breaking spaces using our interface.  It is possible to copy and paste them from a platform that does generate them, and they should function as expected in most instances.  This is however highly recommended against.  The spacing created will often cause unexpected display issues when viewing on significantly smaller or larger screens, and especially on mobile devices.  We do have a custom code editor to allow you to bypass our normal templates, and work solely in the html.  When creating a campaign, instead of choosing one of our standard templates, you should see 'custom code' in the upper right corner.

Aaron_H

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
AnneB131
Rookie
0 Votes

That is a really clunky solution. Those of us who hate bad breaks would love to have standard design functionality such as non-breaking spaces and hyphens, and soft returns in Constant Contact.  

RochelleS27
Campaign Collaborator

This is really out of touch on Constant Contact’s part.  I used to add non-breaking spaces using the code editor for many reasons. None of them were for adding space between paragraphs. Among the legitimate and necessary reasons: preventing dates, addresses, and headings from breaking awkwardly. Please make it possible to insert this code. Controlling line breaks is very often the difference between a lazy and a professional message.

Zoe_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @RochelleS27,

Thank you for your feedback! We completely understand the importance and will definitely submit this over to our engineers for review. You can also take a look at our Custom Code editor so you can have more control using your own HTML code if you would like. Thank you! 

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
RochelleS27
Campaign Collaborator

This is not helpful at all. I don't want to spend the time or take the risk of designing a custom-coded template. Suggesting I do this just so I can insert non-breaking spaces is not reasonable.

AprilW10
Rookie
0 Votes

A legitimate use of &nbsp; is making sure the name of an organization doesn't have a word break in the middle. So, for instance, let's say the name United States appears but, for branding reasons, you want United and States to always appear on the same line. In HTML, you'd use United&nbsp;States and the browser will treat the whole thing as a single word rather than two words. You'll never have United at the end of the line and States at the beginning of the next line. In Microsoft Word, the key command to enter one is <Ctrl>+<Shift>+<Space>. Also, while you can totally copy and paste a non-breaking space (and have it remain non-breaking), you cannot paste it into Constant Contact.

Zoe_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @AprilW10,

You may be able to paste a non-breaking space from another source and have it stick in your email newsletter. At this time, we are working on ways to improve this! Thank you for your feedback. 

Zoe H.

AdrienneS46
Rookie
0 Votes

I'm newish to Constant Contact after using for years. I can't believe there's not a non-breaking space option. And I'm also not finding any way to edit the HTML of a single block, as I could with . (I don't want to edit the template as this is a specific issue, not a global one.) On a Mac, Option + Spacebar is the standard for inserting this, but Contact Contact ignores it. Please prioritize this as something that should be been implemented at launch. Thanks.

AdrienneS46
Rookie
0 Votes

Beyond that, I just noticed that what's shown in the editor doesn't match the line breaks in the preview. So, that makes it even more complicated to know if a non-breaking space is even needed. 

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @AdrienneS46 ,

If you want to manage an email using HTML code, we recommend using the custom code editor to construct your email. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A

Thank you, but that is exactly what I said I don't need. The issue is *not* template-based. It is in the text of emails, which varies by email sent. I think there are plenty of examples above of what this means. The need for a non-breaking space is within the text of emails, not for the entire email (or the design of it) itself. 

Also, FYI, Mailchimp allows for a the drag-and-drop builder and then viewing the HTML of the text as well. 

user401270
Rookie
0 Votes
Spero sia ok
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST