Not being able to upload a .gif

LBBC
Campaign Collaborator

Hi all,

I've tried uploading several different gifs many times, resized the file to meet requirements for it to be under 5mb and still getting an error that my file cant be uploaded. No explanation is given why, only that I should try saving it in a different format....but that would defeat the purpose . I want gif in my newsletter for a reason. How do I get this fixed? thnx in advance

Top Answer
Adrienne_B
Employee

There are a few errors being discussed in this thread. Please read before commenting.

In order to upload a GIF into the library, the file must be no more than 600px wide and under 5MB in size. While an image may show as the correct file type, there may be a file extension causing the image to not upload. You will need to resave the file in Photoshop if you have it. If you do not have access to Photoshop to adjust the image, we would suggest uploading your GIF to a site to decompress the file. While we do not offer this service, there are external websites that can do this for you, like EZGif

42 REPLIES 42
BladesOfGreen
Campaign Contributor

ConstantContact - this has been a problem dating back to 2019. It's nearly May 2021 and it is still not resolved, even though time and again the company responses say that this will be rectified.

I, too, am getting the error code when trying to upload a .gif that meets size requirements. Why does CC require all these additional steps (that don't always work) in order to upload a functional .gif? 

Please advise on the status of the resolution. 

MotokiN
Brand Influencer
0 Votes

This thread actually started in 2018. Constant Contact engineering still doesn't have this fixed? I uploaded a gif successfully, changed the color and went to upload the new version and bam got the error. This work around did work for me> Convert the GIF to an MP4 video using https://ezgif.com/gif-to-mp4, then convert the MP4 back to a GIF (Leave the default settings throughout the process). But I agree with everyone on this thread. Constant Contact needs to fix the issue.

RoseS94
Campaign Expert

Have been following this issue for years, and continue to encounter it on a weekly basis. My staff will refuse to use Constant Contact because it's such a pain. Three years and no fix - unacceptable!

JOannV67
Rookie
0 Votes

As a solution to this issue, I've been able to create my gif, often just in Canva as many other users have said, and then on my desktop just shave a single pixel off of just one image, and then it uploads correctly. Not sure why it works, but as long as it's under 5 MB and slightly cropped the file will upload. 

AmyW81
Rookie
0 Votes

I ended up using a gif resizer and resized to about 500x500 800 KB and that worked for me. Hope that works for you!

AlanL143
Rookie

I have been uploading GIFs for 3 years to Constant Contact with no problems if they are under 5MB.

This month (November 2021), it has stopped working.

It is infuriating. Terrible customer support from Constant Contact as so much of this product relies on being able to upload captivating/interesting images -- and it simply does not work!

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @AlanL143 ,

I'm not finding any recent chat or call cases from you regarding this issue. We'd love to be able to provide support, but we need to actually know when an issue occurs for you.

What are the sources of your gifs? Have you made any changes in the way they're created and exported from the program you use to make them? If you're pulling them from the internet, have your sources or their hosting sites made any changes? If your gifs are hosted on other sites, are you able to add them to your emails via the image URL method?

You may also wish to call support and work with them for live, 1:1 troubleshooting and assistance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
AngelaW84867
Campaign Expert

Hi all,

Experiencing the same problem! Why this cannot be fixed for so many years?

It really does take of a lot of your time. What is the point of using other platforms to upload .GIF on CC, when you are doing everything as per limits requirements - right size, pixels, etc.?

Currently trying to upload a .GIF which has been optimized on ezgif.com down to 1.12MB (with minimal and not ideal resolution) and still can't upload it. It is ridiculous.

Please advise when would you fix this problem?

DetailXPerts
Safe and Clean with Steam
https://www.detailxperts.net
Kyle_R
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @AngelaW84867 ,

Sorry for the troubles. Would you be able to private message me the file you're trying to upload? I'd like to take a look.

GTIndependence
Rookie

January 2022 and this issue has still not been fixed. Why can't I directly upload a gif without being told it's the wrong file format? 

Caitlin_M
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @GTIndependence. Please see the pinned post in this thread. This provides guidance as to how images should be formatted before uploading as well as more information behind the messaging you are seeing. 

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Barbjh
Campaign Collaborator

Just here to say please fix this gif error. Users should not have to purchase another application (Photoshop) in order to upload gif files!! 

Caitlin_M
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @Barbjh. Please see the pinned post in this thread. This provides guidance as to how images should be formatted before uploading as well as workaround to reformat the image outside of Photoshop.

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Barbjh
Campaign Collaborator

The workaround outside of Photoshop does not work. All settings are within your guidelines, file is compressed, etc. 

KelliJWL
Campaign Contributor

I have ended up here as I am having the exact problem. I've been uploading GIFs fine for years - suddenly today, it does not work. My file is within the guidelines and I am doing nothing different to what I did before. This needs to be fixed!

StaceyK6930
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

I can add an animated gif in thunderbird and send it. This seems like a huge fail for CC...

StaceyK6930
Campaign Contributor

Also, if animated gifs are not supported your documentation and marketing should just state this -- I should not have to learn about it in forums.

AlfredM2
Marketing Expert

This has become completely unacceptable and a huge failure by the Constant Contact team. 

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST