One campaign - Different lists - Best practices for useful reports

SOLVED
Frequent Visitor

One campaign - Different lists - Best practices for useful reports

I've searched the community and would like confirmation of what I believe to be true:

HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO

Campaign

• "Better Bananas"

2 lists:

1. People with pet monkeys
  2. People who eat cereal

Two sending options:

1. Send the Better Bananas campaign to BOTH LISTS AT ONCE
    • Pros: The lists will be deduped and no duplicate emails will be sent
    • Cons: I cannot separate the lists in reports and therefore I have no idea which list is more effective, active, etc. 
  2. Send the Better Bananas campaign to EACH LIST SEPARATELY
    • Pros: I will have TWO SEPARATE REPORTS and be able to assess which list is more effective, active, etc. 
    • Cons: The lists will NOT BE DEDUPED and duplicate emails WILL be sent

WHAT THIS MEANS:

Since there are many instances of the same email address appearing on each list, I am forced to send my campaign to both lists at once because if I send to the lists separately, I create duplicate emails for many subscribers who may then tag me as SPAM, or at the very least, get irritated enough to unsubscribe.

Do I have a grasp on the situation?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: One campaign - Different lists - Best practices for useful reports

Hi @GoodShepherdJax 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! Your understanding of how emails can be scheduled is correct. You can send to both emails at once to remove any duplicates and ensure contacts receive your campaign only once. This will however merge the lists into one solid reporting. In this case you can export your reporting into Excel and manually separate them based on your list. 

You also do have the option to send your email to both lists separately so their reporting will also automatically be separate. Doing this does also run the chance of sending twice to any contact that may be on both lists. However accounts with less than 10,000 contacts have the option for filtering your individual lists by tags. To filter your lists by tag you will first have to create separate tags for both lists. So using your example, you can tag the contacts under your list “People with pet monkeys” as tag 1. You will then tag the contacts on “People who eat cereal” as tag 2. Then when scheduling your email you will select “People with pet monkeys” as the list you want to send to, but narrow this list down by selecting the filter of not sending to contacts that are also tagged with tag 2. You will then do the same but with your “People who eat cereal” as your selected list and tag 1 as the filtered tag. This will allow you to schedule a separate campaign to each list and ensure and duplicate emails are not sent.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: One campaign - Different lists - Best practices for useful reports

Hi @GoodShepherdJax 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! Your understanding of how emails can be scheduled is correct. You can send to both emails at once to remove any duplicates and ensure contacts receive your campaign only once. This will however merge the lists into one solid reporting. In this case you can export your reporting into Excel and manually separate them based on your list. 

You also do have the option to send your email to both lists separately so their reporting will also automatically be separate. Doing this does also run the chance of sending twice to any contact that may be on both lists. However accounts with less than 10,000 contacts have the option for filtering your individual lists by tags. To filter your lists by tag you will first have to create separate tags for both lists. So using your example, you can tag the contacts under your list “People with pet monkeys” as tag 1. You will then tag the contacts on “People who eat cereal” as tag 2. Then when scheduling your email you will select “People with pet monkeys” as the list you want to send to, but narrow this list down by selecting the filter of not sending to contacts that are also tagged with tag 2. You will then do the same but with your “People who eat cereal” as your selected list and tag 1 as the filtered tag. This will allow you to schedule a separate campaign to each list and ensure and duplicate emails are not sent.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

View solution in original post