Outlook app optimization

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Outlook app optimization

I recently switched to a newer CC template for a weekly newsletter and I have received feedback that it doesn't optimize for mobile devices when Outlook users read the email via the Outlook app. Additionally, if the user has set the device to display text at a larger size, the text breaks at odd points. Is this something CC is aware of? Thank you.

CC_outlookapp.jpg

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Outlook app optimization

Thanks for your reply, Aaron. This isn't a great solution, as the larger text works better for the overall design/hierarchy of information, but we'll try a smaller font size as a workaround. Unfortunately there is a big difference between font sizes at this level, so you can't just drop it down a few sizes for a better fit - it will be significantly smaller. It's something Constant Contact might want to explore further - either resolving the larger text issue for mobile or offering more font size options (so we don't have to jump from 48pt to 36pt, for instance). 

Thanks,

Judith

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Hello @WilmingtonMontessori,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!  We are aware that most mobile email clients will resize text and images to better fit that smaller screen.  The system is designed to work along-side those changes, but sometimes issues like what you're seeing in that image do happen.  We've found that 14 to 16px text is best for the email body and 22px text is good for headlines.  When using larger text, especially larger text with slightly longer words, you can end up with some unusual spacing issues.  Those line-breaks should only get inserted in the middle of a word, if the word itself at it's current size is too large to fit on a single line.  Unfortunately there's no way to predict what settings your recipients might have, so there's not a way to avoid this ahead of time, other than to keep those text sizes slightly smaller.

Aaron_H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply, Aaron. This isn't a great solution, as the larger text works better for the overall design/hierarchy of information, but we'll try a smaller font size as a workaround. Unfortunately there is a big difference between font sizes at this level, so you can't just drop it down a few sizes for a better fit - it will be significantly smaller. It's something Constant Contact might want to explore further - either resolving the larger text issue for mobile or offering more font size options (so we don't have to jump from 48pt to 36pt, for instance). 

Thanks,

Judith

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor

When I use one of the templates that has text on the right or left of an image OR I use a template that has multiple images in a row with text underneath, it is not responsive in my Outlook email app on my phone. The layout does not automatically line everything up down the screen. The images get really small and the text gets super squished and very long down the page. Is there a way to fix this considering most people look at emails on their phone and Outlook is popular?

Thank you!

Heidi

Tags (4)
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Hello @DavidT946 ,

This is something that we'd like to collect additional information on. Can you please email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with the following details:

- What model of phone?
- What version of OS/iOS? (Settings app > General > About)
- What version of Outlook app? (Outlook app: letter/initial in the top left corner > gear icon > scroll to the bottom of the Settings page
- Name of Campaign?
- Is the email a company based domain? If so, who is your web hosting provider (Outlook or someone else)?

We look forward to hearing back from you soon! 

Amber_L

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi Amber,

I noticed the same issues as DavidT946. We did find when the phone is held sideways all of the text aligns properly (same issue on two different iphones). One other issue we have is the background color chosen is orange but appears dark brown on these two phones using outlook. When I sent it to my personal gmail account using my iphone10 everything appears correct no matter how the phone is held. Hopefully this will help you with the questions you asked below.

-iPhone 8

-iOS 13.4.1

-Outlook version 4.34.1

-Campaign: Upgrades 2020/05/13, 8:01:27 AM

-Yes it is a company based domain

Thanks,

Gary

Highlighted

Thank you for performing the troubleshooting steps and reaching out to us, @NathanB91 . I did get your information passed along to the engineers, and they'll reach out if and when there's an update. This is something they're still working with Microsoft to get figured out, but the moment these particular display issues are only affecting the Outlook iPhone app. 

William D

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured