PNG file names showing up on email subject lines

user51351
Rookie
There seems to be a weird glitch of some sort where my PNG file names show up on the email subject lines for our newsletter tests and releases. Shouldn't that be hidden?
7 REPLIES 7
Kara_D
Employee
0 Votes

Hi user51351!

Thanks for reaching out to the Community with your question. We may need some additional information to properly diagnose the issue, but try these two options:

• Add a preheader text to the email.
  • Try adding an 'alt text' to the image it's pulling the link from (usually the first image)

If the above options don't help please send us an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com, and include answers to the following questions:

• Will you please provide a screenshot showing the URL in the subject line?
  • Is the URL showing in the subject line, or below?
  • What type of device are you using? (ex: iPone, tablet, desktop)
  • Are you checking your email via an exchange server?

If you prefer on the spot troubleshooting please give our Support team a call at 866-289-2101

Monday - Thursday 8am - 10pm ET
Friday 8am - 9pm ET
Saturday 10am - 8pm ET

Kara.D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
GraceB991
Rookie

I'm having the same issue. My image file names are showing up in the subject line. How do I remove this? 

kxcicommunity
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

I am having the same issue for the first time. I never had it before.

William_A
Administrator

Hello @kxcicommunity ,

This issue is caused by some email programs reading the image's alt text or name as actual text in your email, and thus including it in an email's inbox previews alongside the subject line and (if included) preheader text. This is most commonly seen when an email has a shorter subject line and an immediate image as the first element of the email. Since this is a standard element of some email programs, it isn't something we're able to control unfortunately, and is prevalent throughout all industries that utilize email communications. 

That said, there are a few workaround that can be utilized. You can have longer subject lines, add text to the optional preheader, or include text in your email before the first image (such as a View as Webpage statement / link).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support
kxcicommunity
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

That was really helpful. Our headers and preheaders aren't usually so succinct, so I never noticed before.

GraceB991
Rookie

I'm having the same issue, did you ever figure this out? 

KristinT94
Rookie
0 Votes

Delete the alt text of the image. 

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST