Possible Bug: Falsely inflated "Click" rate?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Real Estate

Possible Bug: Falsely inflated "Click" rate?

Hello,

I have noticed that all emails I have sent out over the last couple of weeks have an extremely increased click rate.  Now, don't get me wrong, I would love to believe this is accurate information, however when I look at the actual clicks, it looks like our recipients are clicking on three links per email - and all three are the same. It's very strange and I think there may be a bug in your coding.

Example: Many of the clicks on our most recent campaign were for the actual link we wanted them to click (call to action) but also they all clicked on the one icon to go to our "Linked In" page... Rarely does anyone visit our Linked In page, let alone click the links in our emails. Can someone please look at this and determine whether it's a faulty cookie or tracking link?
Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Marisa_M ,

We're glad to see you actively checking your engagement. Typically, if some or all of the links in an email show as being clicked at the exact same time - especially immediately after the sendout - this would be a security program performing an action that erroneously triggers the link as being "clicked."

Based on what we're seeing, the social media links do all appear to have been "clicked" on the same day, same time, right at the time of the sendout, same as some of the document clicks. These erroneous clicks seem isolated to two specific domains. All in all that would mean it's those domains' security programs "clicking" the links to check that they're safe. Unfortunately this is something that those specific programs do, so our tracking system is unable to differentiate those robo-clicks compared to natural contact clicks.

On a positive note, the majority of domains don't employ security programs that trigger this. Our engineers are looking into ways to see if this can be possibly mitigated on our end, without excluding legitimate clicks that occur for contacts that do open and click through emails right away. I got your case submitted to their queue so that if and when they have an update, they'll make sure to notify you.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello @Marisa_M ,

We're glad to see you actively checking your engagement. Typically, if some or all of the links in an email show as being clicked at the exact same time - especially immediately after the sendout - this would be a security program performing an action that erroneously triggers the link as being "clicked."

Based on what we're seeing, the social media links do all appear to have been "clicked" on the same day, same time, right at the time of the sendout, same as some of the document clicks. These erroneous clicks seem isolated to two specific domains. All in all that would mean it's those domains' security programs "clicking" the links to check that they're safe. Unfortunately this is something that those specific programs do, so our tracking system is unable to differentiate those robo-clicks compared to natural contact clicks.

On a positive note, the majority of domains don't employ security programs that trigger this. Our engineers are looking into ways to see if this can be possibly mitigated on our end, without excluding legitimate clicks that occur for contacts that do open and click through emails right away. I got your case submitted to their queue so that if and when they have an update, they'll make sure to notify you.

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

View solution in original post

Very interesting, thank you for the reply and that information. 

Occasional Participant

Do you have a real solution for this? I have been reporting this issue to your team for several months now, and I still have inflated click rates. This really should be as simple as creating an algorithm that identifies when everyone from one company clicks every link all at the same time, and giving me the option to filter those out from my reports. Is there a timeline for a solution to this?

Perhaps my industry is different, but the claim that "the majority of domains don't employ security programs that trigger this" is not true for my contact database. If I can't get correct reporting from Constant Contact, I am going to have to recommend a different service for my company.

Hi @ASTCCadmin. Depending on the industry, your contacts may have stricter security guidelines set up by their email provider. While I do not have a timeline or information to share, we've noted this request on your account and if there are any updates to our reporting, you will be notified. 

Caitlin M.
Community Manager

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Participant

I am having this same issue. We are getting a TON of "clicks" on our emails, but they are clearly not accurate numbers. The clicks all happen at the exact same time. I have contacted you guys about this once before and would really like to see a fix for this. Its really discouraging that we cannot get an accurate rate here because this happens with every campaign we send.

Hi @RachelM784 

I can certainly understand why the reporting numbers being skewed would be frustrating. I have added you to the list to be notified as we receive more information on what is likely causing this. Please feel free to reach out if you have questions. Have a great day!

Adrienne B.

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!

We are having this same issue today. Please advise! Thanks