Problem entering a <video> tag into a custom HTML email

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Problem entering a <video> tag into a custom HTML email

Hi,

We'd like to embed a short video directly into an email.  As you know, this is supported by HTML5 and with most modern email clients.  It's pretty simple:

<div style="width:320px;height:240px;" align="center">

<video width="320" height="240" src="UrlGoesHere" type="video/mp4" autoplay muted playsinline></video>

</div>

This works perfectly fine except for one thing -- the Custom HTML Editor flags "playsinline" as non-standard (which is NOT correct, btw .. see: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/video  ) so removes it when the email is sent.  This tag is REQUIRED for a video to autoplay on an iPhone.  Without it, the video won't autostart .. which kinda defeats the whole point of the exercise because if I wanted a "click here to play video" sort of thing, I would just use an image and link not the <video> tag.  Why the heck does it remove a STANDARD tag?  In fact, why does it remove ANY tag?  The whole point of custom HTML is to get around issues w/ your HTML parser.  Is there a workaround?

Not a happy camper.

Thanks, Steve

Thanks, Steve

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Administrator

Re: Problem entering a <video> tag into a custom HTML email

Hi @SteveP245. Thanks for reaching out. The autoplay tag will not work as videos cannot autoplay through our editors and autoplay videos are unsupported by most email clients. A workaround would be to link a screenshot of the video to the video URL so it can be played outside of the email. 

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured