Question About Vacation/Auto Reply Bounces

Highlighted

Question About Vacation/Auto Reply Bounces

Hi! 

Just a couple of quick questions: 

1. When someone has their vacation/auto-reply set when we send an email to them, even though we see that as a bounce, they're still receiving the email (and theoretically will open it at some point), correct?

2. I'm contemplating sending out a weekly newsletter to staff using Constant Contact. I know that odds are the vast majority of people on our staff mailing list will have their vacation/auto-reply on at some point that we send out the 53 emails a year. If a person gets bounced for auto-reply reasons multiple times, will that eventually cause their email to become suspended? If so, how many bounces before that happens? This is a mandatory email that people need to read, so we need to make sure that everyone on the list actually receives it.

Thanks so much! 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Question About Vacation/Auto Reply Bounces

Hi @TMG_Wisconsin

Great questions! You are correct; even though you get a vacation/auto-reply from a contact they can theoretically open your email at a different time. Normally these auto-replies are set up to acknowledge your email has been received but they are not currently in office or available to read it. So if a contact bounces repeatedly for an auto-reply they will not be marked as suspended. Contacts are only marked as suspended after bouncing repeatedly as Non-existent, which these contacts are not. Here is an article we have in our Help Center that can also help explain the different bounce types there may be. 

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Register for our "Making Sense of Online Marketing for Retail" Webinar

Join us on Thursday, August 13th at 2pm ET for a free webinar where we'll discuss how to incorporate online marketing into your retail store.

Read More
Featured