Security Clicks Mega-Thread

Genalog
Regular Participant

Security Clicks Mega-Thread

Good afternoon,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. It's becoming difficult to trust my click through lists due to the fact that in many cases I get examples of all employees at a certain company seem to click on all the links possible, all with the same time stamp. Same goes for some individuals. It started as only a few but is now getting hard to tell who has really clicked on anything. 
At first I thought it must be some sort of error with the customer company email systems but how would constant contact read automatic things as actual clicks?

Anyone else have the same issue?

Kind regards,

Duncan

122 REPLIES 122
HayleyK11
Occasional Participant

We are also seeing the same issue here... I have read that this is due to a security measure from the receiver's end. Is there any kind of workaround?

Genalog
Regular Participant

Hi Hayley, I haven't found one as of yet. This performance fault is also present in other email newsletter companies as unfortunately it is entirely caused by the method some companies anti-spam/virus software operates by. They sort of 'read' the emails and so it lists as a false positive.

William_D

Hello everyone,

For the sake of visibility, I'm marking this response as an Accepted Solution.

Some security programs will "click" and "read" through emails as a method of anti-malware protection. This can result in some contacts showing as "opening" the email and "clicking" every single link all within the same moment of time - typically within a minute of the email being sent out.

Unfortunately, this issue is plaguing other ESPs as well, resulting in incorrect reporting information for anyone who uses our systems as well as others. We understand that you rely on accurate engagement reporting for your important marketing and other communications.

Our engineers are currently in the process of developing and testing a way to mitigate this issue from our end, but at this time we do not have an ETA on a release for such a system. As we receive updates about development, we will make sure this Accepted Solution post is updated in turn. We'll continue to flag and respond to threads outside of this one with the same issues and concerns, and make sure their accounts are marked for engineer notifications.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
JonL54971
Consulting & Training

So, recognizing that multiple click throughs at the same time are likely indicative of security program intervention, is there any reliable way to know if the affected email addressees even received our emails?

This is by no means an "accepted solution". It is merely a response agreeing there is a large problem.

It is super easy to download all clicks, and sort by email address to quickly find all the culprits and figure out a more real count. But for us it's more annoying. We went from zero false clicks a two days ago to 23 emails doing it the past two days and all were current (not new) emails. In the past when this occurred we were forced to delete the "bad" subscribers to our own detriment. Bit now I realize that if we can download and find all the "all-clickers" in seconds that so can Constant Contact!!! Constant Contact must find them and segregate or disregard these clicks not soon but immediately!

Hello @HowardH,

Thank you for your feedback! I will submit this over to our engineers and you will be contacted with updates. Thanks! 

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
SandraB10
Participant

We would also love to see a solution to this issue as it is throwing off our marketing program.

BethJoZ0
Occasional Participant

Please add me to the list to know when this issue is resolved

uac1959
Participant

Please add me to the list, too.  It is very frustrating.

PPIMeetings
Participant

The same people show up on the click-through report each week and its reporting they click-through

on every link and social media icon.  I highly doubt this is what is actually happening and this is an inaccurate report.  Why is this reporting like this?

Hello @PPIMeetings ,

See the current mass thread's "Accepted Solution," for details on the issue you're describing.

William D

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
William_D

Hello everyone!

Our devs have just improved our system to detect which clicks come from humans versus those from programs or bots, so we can give you a more accurate picture of your contacts' engagement with your emails. Once this change is turned on in your account, you may notice a decrease in your open and click reporting going forward, but you can have confidence that the opens and clicks reflect your contacts' actions. Any campaigns sent after will reflect this change in reporting.

One thing to note is that for the vast majority of your contacts, they won't notice any difference. The system will be sensing for Javascript as a means to determine if the little warning redirect page should appear. Bots are extremely unlikely to continue past this re-direct page, meaning they won't go through the rewritten tracking link, and thus won't affect the click reporting. Actual humans should have Java going in the background regardless, meaning that they shouldn't see the redirect page. If they do, they can easily click the button there to continue to where you've linked to (resulting in a click report).

We've already begun rolling out this updated system, and if everything goes smoothly, we'll have every account updated relatively soon. To check if you're setup for the new reporting system, or to opt-in early, please call our general support line so they can securely confirm the permissions access for your account and opt you into it.

Thank you all for your patience while our devs got this built and tested.

William D

MicheleY81
Occasional Participant

Hi William,

Wanted to follow-up on your response and see where CC is relative to this fix. Further, will those who have accounts with you be provided an alert that this fix has been complete. We have been noticing similar activities relative to blanket clicks and opens from certain companies. Any follow-up information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Kimberly Miller

Hello @MicheleY81 ,

We are still going through the beta of the newer system. I've tracked your interest in this, so that when it's fully released you'll be notified. If you'd like to opt-in sooner, please call our general support to confirm any account security questions asked. Once you've confirmed that account access, the agent will let our Tier 2 team know you want to be opted into the beta sooner.

William D

Is the change that you described being automatically applied to every account, or is there a setting we need to update?  

We are still going through the beta of the newer system, and releasing to accounts in waves. If you'd like to opt-in sooner, please call our general support to confirm any account security questions asked. Once you've confirmed that account access, the agent will let our Tier 2 team know you want to be opted into the beta sooner.

William D

DeanP55
Occasional Participant

How soon is "relatively soon"?  It's become worse in the last mailing sent last week.

How do we know if this solution has been implemented for us?  I am still seeing that the first 40-50 click throughs are most likely bots.

Hello! I am wondering how we can find out if this has been applied to our account yet. Thank you. 

Hello William,

We are still experiencing the issue described. Could you please advise regarding the status of this update "fix"?

Thanks!

Tim

AnibalM7
Occasional Participant

We again having a big problem with the amount of clicks that we receive each time we send an e mail campaign

We have sent a new Mailing with a complete new add and we did have the same problem again. Lots of clicks in every link of the ad, no matter if its important or not. 

Constant Contact support team said that the problem is that a lot of companies now have antimalwares bots that click in every link before define if the mail is a spam or not. But they are not giving us a solution. 

• This Critical :

• If this problem keeps on happening we will need to cancel Constant Contact , there is no way that we can continue using this tool if it is not working properly any more .

• The results are more confusing than of help .

• We need urgent action from technical people and let us know what is happening.

¿Is there someone that could help me with this situation?