Security Clicks Mega-Thread

Genalog
Regular Participant

Security Clicks Mega-Thread

Good afternoon,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. It's becoming difficult to trust my click through lists due to the fact that in many cases I get examples of all employees at a certain company seem to click on all the links possible, all with the same time stamp. Same goes for some individuals. It started as only a few but is now getting hard to tell who has really clicked on anything. 
At first I thought it must be some sort of error with the customer company email systems but how would constant contact read automatic things as actual clicks?

Anyone else have the same issue?

Kind regards,

Duncan

112 REPLIES 112

Hello @AnibalM7 ,

Some security programs will "click" and "read" through emails as a method of anti-malware protection. This can result in some contacts showing as "opening" the email and "clicking" every single link all within the same moment of time - typically within a minute of the email being sent out.

Unfortunately, this issue is plaguing other ESPs as well, resulting in incorrect reporting information for anyone who uses our systems as well as others. We understand that you rely on accurate engagement reporting for your important marketing and other communications.

Our devs have just improved our system to detect which clicks come from humans versus those from programs or bots, so we can give you a more accurate picture of your contacts' engagement with your emails. Once this change is turned on in your account, you may notice a decrease in your open and click reporting going forward, but you can have confidence that the opens and clicks reflect your contacts' actions. Any campaigns sent after will reflect this change in reporting.

One thing to note is that for the vast majority of your contacts, they won't notice any difference. The system will be sensing for Javascript as a means to determine if the little warning redirect page should appear. Bots are extremely unlikely to continue past this re-direct page, meaning they won't go through the rewritten tracking link, and thus won't affect the click reporting. Actual humans should have Java going in the background regardless, meaning that they shouldn't see the redirect page. If they do, they can easily click the button there to continue to where you've linked to (resulting in a click report).

We've already begun rolling out this updated system, and if everything goes smoothly, we'll have every account updated relatively soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
DonnaD7072
Occasional Participant

Hi,

We get very high clicks (50% and more) because "those" who click seem to click on any possible button in our email. Also, we can see through a special app that a lot of "recipients" try to login into our customer login area.

Can someone help?

NoelK
Participant

Hi,

I recently ran a poll using constant contact and send out invites to an event with RSVP facility in the constant contact campaign.   When I consulted the results,  I noticed some of the respondents had registered on all the choices or had registered a reply on all the replies.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Kind regards

Nicole 

Hello @NoelK ,

Did the contacts who selected all the poll options all do so within the same minute? Was it also within a few minutes of being sent the email? If those are the case, then they (or their organization) are likely running a security program that "clicks" through links to check them for malware. Our engineers are currently in the process of rolling out a new linking system to help mitigate these bot clicks triggering a report. If you'd like to opt into it sooner, please call our general support so they can confirm your account access permissions, and opt you in.

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
CrunchTimePromotions
Consulting & Training

I'm getting false clicks - numerous links clicked in the same e-mail at the same time
AndrewC2585
Consulting & Training

Based on this campaign, I believe somehow some email addresses are automatically opening/clicking my links, skewing my open/click rate.
Monday
Consulting & Training

Is anybody experiencing unusually high click rates for the past few weeks like me? This is not related to the topic of the campaign. Apparently it's something they are aware of but I'm curious to see if others have similar issue. 

Hello @Monday,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! Are you seeing multiple clicks from the same customer as well? This could be because the security program is selecting all the links when certain customers are opening your emails. 

Zoe H.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
JosephS3
Participant

I sent out three emails to the same lists that I have been sending out communications for years.  They are unusual in that they are each about a scheduled webinar. 

I am "happily" I think ... getting high click rates (24.2%) and high click rates (54%).  Seems something is wrong.  ARe these real?  If not why is it happening and how do I prevent it.  Because it is not helpful to me to see computerized bots opening my CC blast emails. 

Any advice would be helpful.

Hello @JosephS3 ,

If all of the clicks are occurring within a min of opening the email (typically also reporting as the exact minute the email is sent), then that contact is likely using a security system that "opens" and "clicks" emails to check for malware. We are still going through the beta of a way to mitigate these false opens and clicks, and releasing that newer system to accounts in waves. If you'd like to opt-in sooner, please call our general support to confirm any account security questions asked. Once you've confirmed that account access, the agent will let our Tier 2 team know you want to be opted into the beta sooner.

William D

SLS38
Occasional Participant

This article is inaccurate. Apparently many security programs are able to click links without Java enabled. This problem is significantly skewing our metrics.

BrettZ57

When is the javascript challenge going to be implemented?  You've been talking about it for months.  Pretty important for an email marketing service to report accurate click-throughs, don't you think?

Hello @BrettZ57,

Our engineers are currently in the process of rolling out the javascript challenge to help mitigate these bot clicks triggering a report. If you'd like to opt into it sooner, please call our general support so they can confirm your account access permissions, and opt you in. 

Zoe H.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

So it is currently being implemented on certain accounts?

Hello @BrettZ57,

Yes, as long as you give us a call it will be! 

Zoe H.

Just called in.  After 30 minutes was told that it's been broken and deactivated for everyone until further notice.  This is what they said 3 months ago as well.  They are not rolling it out and it is not currently being implemented on any accounts.

Hello @BrettZ57,

I do apologize for that update on the javascript challenge. I will go ahead and track this on your account so when it's fixed you will be notified. Thank you! 

Zoe H.

VincentT142
Occasional Participant

You enabled some javascript thing recently, but there's no way 76 people clicked each social media link.

Hello @VincentT142 ,

It does not appear you are currently opted into the JavaScript challenge. If you wish to opt into it earlier than it rolls out, please call our general support line, so they can securely confirm permissions and submit the opt-in request.

William D

VincentT142
Occasional Participant

This is still happening. We can't trust any of the data reported.
LesleyR61
Occasional Participant

Hi, right now we are having the same problem that it's started on 02-2018 and "still working on it"?

We need an answer because it's unacceptable to have an email marketing software that don't have the ability to discriminate bots clics vs human clics.