Security Clicks Mega-Thread

Genalog
Regular Participant

Security Clicks Mega-Thread

Good afternoon,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. It's becoming difficult to trust my click through lists due to the fact that in many cases I get examples of all employees at a certain company seem to click on all the links possible, all with the same time stamp. Same goes for some individuals. It started as only a few but is now getting hard to tell who has really clicked on anything. 
At first I thought it must be some sort of error with the customer company email systems but how would constant contact read automatic things as actual clicks?

Anyone else have the same issue?

Kind regards,

Duncan

122 REPLIES 122

Hello,

Please refer to the top answer in this thread. If you're still encountering what you believe are security clicks, please call general support so they can collect further info for troubleshooting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
BrettZ57

This should be a top priority for Constant Contact.  Maybe they should refocus their resources on accurate reporting instead of animated templates and other meaningless features.  None of it matters without accurate reporting.

Hello,

Please refer to the top answer in this thread. If you're still encountering what you believe are security clicks, please call general support so they can collect further info for troubleshooting.

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

You should stop referring people to the top answer because it is no longer accurate.  I just spoke with support and the javascript challenge has been abandoned (6/10) because they were experiencing too many issues.  They do not have any kind of solution currently or forecasted.

Here is the most up-to-date article provided on the issue (still doesn't work very well as I still receive bot clicks)

https://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/39841-Tracking-Email-Clicks?lang=en...

StephanieL4
Regular Participant

None of these is an actual click. Getting really tired of this.
LouiseB6
Regular Participant

again - same problem as before...there are clicks on all links obviously not true clicks. If you see all the unsubscribes i had to do under the company Michael Saunders you'll see that every one of them clicked on every link in seconds. can't this be fixed?
JeffB5
Occasional Participant

I have noticed that there are 3-5 people who click on every banner ad in every issue of our email newsletter - even when the ad art has not changed from issue to issue. The issues are two weeks apart. Has anyone else noticed this kind of behavior with the folks who click on banner ads?

Thank you.

Karen

Hello @JeffB5 ,

This can occur with certain domains that utilize security programs that "click" through emails to check them for malware. Our engineers are looking into ways this can be mitigated that won't negatively affect the tracking system as a whole. I've assigned your case to the engineers so that if and when there's an update to this, they'll make sure to notify you.

This can be helped if your email is a safe/trusted sender in their system, or by using authentication, however it's ultimately an issue being caused by the outside security programs' functionalities.

William D

JulieT1551
Occasional Participant

I have several emails now with click reports that show one or two recipients who supposedly clicked on EVERY single link in the email. I can only assume this is a glitch. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas why this might be happening (other than a recipient just playing a mean joke)? Thanks!

Hello @JulieT1551 ,

This can occur with certain domains that utilize security programs that "click" through emails to check them for malware. Our engineers are looking into ways this can be mitigated that won't negatively affect the tracking system as a whole. I've assigned your case to the engineers so that if and when there's an update to this, they'll make sure to notify you.

This can be helped if your email is a safe/trusted sender in their system, or by using authentication, however it's ultimately an issue being caused by the outside security programs' functionalities.

For more info on security bot clicks

For more info on how click reporting works

William D

JulieT1551
Occasional Participant

Ah gotcha. That makes total sense, thank you for the explanation! 

BobbieC64
Participant

With the advent of Apple Mail Privacy, we're seeing a higher than usual number of clicks - and we're seeing a higher number of subscribers clicking several links at once. (I.e. 11 clicks in the space of a single minute) like you would see with a security program clicking on each link. Is anyone else seeing this and is it related to Apple's changes?

Hello @BobbieC64 ,

This can be helped if your email is a safe/trusted sender in their system, or by using authentication, however it's ultimately an issue being caused by the outside security programs' functionalities.

William D

SteveJ140
Occasional Participant

Why is it that in results report, it will show a single individual clicking on every link in the email, at the same time, which isn't possible? There can be over 20 links in an email and they are clicking on every one?

Hello @SteveJ140 ,

William D

SteveJ140
Occasional Participant

Thanks very much for that; I was wondering what was going on. It kind of skews things. 

RobertA300
Consulting & Training

Is anyone else noticing clicks that are inaccurate or some type of automated click mechanism like we also see with opens?   I am getting click notifications when people are not actually clicking?

Hello @RobertA300 ,

William D