Security issue

Top Answer
Kyle_R
Administrator

Hello all,

We apologize for not following up on this thread correctly to provide updates on some of the various issues people have been running into. I'd like to clarify a few things and try to help anyone still needing it as there are several different issues rolling up in this topic:

This isn't an issue that's been persisting since 2017 that we've been ignoring. For some background, we have a Compliance team that are proactively monitoring activity around the clock in order to catch problematic accounts/emails before they cause any issues. This is something we take very seriously, as it helps ensure our emails land in the inbox which is of crucial importance. Despite those efforts, from time to time we may end up on a block list for a specific security software program or ISP for a variety of reasons. It definitely comes with the territory. When this happens, we have an ISP Relations team that works with these companies to mediate a solution. Norton being one example that was original mentioned and mentioned again recently. To be clear, these were two separate incidents. The issue is now resolved, and in the most recent incident it was resolved within a day or two. We're not currently on any major block lists that we're aware of for any anti-virus software programs. If you're seeing something now, then we definitely need to look into it. In the interest of getting information on the latest occurrence, we may ask some questions that have been repeated throughout that thread such as what the error is saying, what security programs are being used, screenshots of the error, and we may recommend whitelisting in order to get you on our way while we look into it, or as a troubleshooting step to ensure that is the software that is blocking access. 

That being said, there is a second issue that has been brought up in this thread recently which is the browser plugin uBlock Origin blocking clicked links. This is different than normal anti-virus security software in that the point of the plugin is to block ads or any server meant to track user behavior. Links in a Constant Contact email go through the r20.rs6.net URL in order to be recorded as a "click" in your campaign reporting. In that sense, the domain is used to track behavior and is blocked accordingly through uBlock origin. They aren't likely to change their policy globally to allow our domain to continue to track clicks, so it's left up to each individual using the plugin to choose whether or not they want to remove the block to individual sites. This speaks to a growing shift in the market where users want more transparency into their data and how they are being tracked.

@SophiaL37  - Based on information from your recent support interaction, your issue seems separate from both the Norton and uBlock experiences I mentioned above. Because of this I'd like to address you more specifically. The message you're receiving is a general connectivity error so it's not completely clear yet if it's stemming from any particular security software (in many cases these errors come from the software program itself and not just the Chrome error message). In order to get to the bottom of this for you we've submitted a case to our advanced level of support on your behalf. We're curious to get some more information on the workaround regarding creating new templates. As for your point about redirecting, the r20.rs6.net domain is meant to redirect to the link address. This is done in order to track as a click, this isn't a virus. Though a member of our advanced level support team will follow-up with you directly on this, I will be keeping an eye on your case as well.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: r20.rs6.net taking a longtime respond

Hello, 

We have same problem in our company. I prepared an newsletter for large group of auditons.

I sent a test e-mail but all links blocked by UBlock Origin. This is an chrome extension. Your solution is to disable extension but it's not acceptable. I can to it easily but what if our customer want to be safe and do not trust that link and do not disable extension ?

CC must be find urgent solution for this issue Screenshot_1.jpg

Highlighted

Hi @YavuzU 

Thank you for sharing these details here in the Community. I apologize at this time we do not have a workaround for this. However we are aware of this extension blocking our links. We have also tracked this information in your account as we are continuing to troubleshoot this experience.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted

@Frankie_P wrote:

We have also seen users use the View As Webpage version, as the web-page version will have the correct link.

No, that is correct ONLY after the user has navigated to the webpage which won't work if that webpage uses the r20.rs6.net domain. It also won't work in plain-text unless the "view as webpage" link is inserted as a visible URL - not everyone supports HTML emails. The only way to guarantee 100% of every recipient can read your message is to include a plain-text portion with visible URLs (links you can actually see the web address of where they go).

Hi @R.R7 

This is great feedback to help us understand exactly what you are trying to do. I apologize the View As Webpage version is not available in plain text emails.  In the meantime we have submitted this as a feature request in your account to the appropriate teams.

Frankie.P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Hi there, I tried reporting this in chat but got disconnected as I left for a meeting.

We sent out an email with a ticket link and several clients from several different ISPs reported not being able to connect to the site. When sending the original link (not rs6.net) it worked perfectly.

The error message they received is as follows:

This site can’t be reached

r20.rs6.net’s server IP address could not be found.

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Can you please look into this and tell me if this is going to keep happening or if there are any known solutions? We want to be able to sell via email. Thank you.

Tags (3)
Highlighted

Hi @MarquisWines 

We're so sorry to hear this is happening with your contacts! After further troubleshooting our upper level of support was able to confirm this is usually caused by some security programs. What security program are these contacts using? Are they reading your emails on a home or work network? Because of this we suggest having these contacts whitelist Constant Contact URLs in their security software.

Frankie.P

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your reply. I have confirmed that one client has strict firewalls and security apps running, although the second client mentioned he also tried on his mobile device which has no software so we are no closer to a solution here. Is it possible that this server is being blocked upstream?

Tags (2)
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

We literally have hundreds of contacts that are being affected by this. It's unacceptable. After months of trying to get help from CC on this nothing has been resolved. Essentially our emails to our followers have been rendered ineffective by the r20.rs problem where the links do not work. 

Tags (2)
Highlighted

Hi @KimberlyP8 

We see you have previously worked with our upper level of support on this. You mentioned to this team this experience appears to be an isolated incident involving only a few email recipients. In fact, the link was resolved for the contact you did further troubleshooting on. If you are however still having this experience we would like to collect a few more details and continue looking into this for you. For instance are your contacts seeing any errors? If so what errors? Does this happen on a home or company network? What security programs are the contacts using? Having of these details allows us to make sure we don’t repeat the same troubleshooting steps as last time.

Frankie.P

Highlighted

Hi @MarquisWines 

Thank you for giving us this update! Whitelisting Constant Contact tends to be the solution needed for clients with strict firewalls and security apps. As for your other client, if it’s on a mobile device it could be a network issues causing the link to be blocked by mobile data.

Frankie.P

Constant Contact would like to hear from you

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured