Security issue

Occasional Participant

Security issue

Received this from a reader: Dangerous Website Blocked You attempted to access: http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001jpsYcmt7xaSTlOk7H2KKaDiBU4HGxFAd-PFkfjN91MF_PdtYI9fyZhTylUak_3iPV_uHH... There was of course more, a big red X and all sorts of other off-putting stuff. I then checked out all the other “more” links and was presented with the same page. Clearly there is some problem, I don’t know whether it is with Norton, or the intervening sites that collect advertising/statistical data as you are diverted to other sites. I don’t know whether the problem is unique to me, but thought I should let you know about it.

Top Answer
Kyle_R
Administrator

Hello all,

We apologize for not following up on this thread correctly to provide updates on some of the various issues people have been running into. I'd like to clarify a few things and try to help anyone still needing it as there are several different issues rolling up in this topic:

This isn't an issue that's been persisting since 2017 that we've been ignoring. For some background, we have a Compliance team that are proactively monitoring activity around the clock in order to catch problematic accounts/emails before they cause any issues. This is something we take very seriously, as it helps ensure our emails land in the inbox which is of crucial importance. Despite those efforts, from time to time we may end up on a block list for a specific security software program or ISP for a variety of reasons. It definitely comes with the territory. When this happens, we have an ISP Relations team that works with these companies to mediate a solution. Norton being one example that was original mentioned and mentioned again recently. To be clear, these were two separate incidents. The issue is now resolved, and in the most recent incident it was resolved within a day or two. We're not currently on any major block lists that we're aware of for any anti-virus software programs. If you're seeing something now, then we definitely need to look into it. In the interest of getting information on the latest occurrence, we may ask some questions that have been repeated throughout that thread such as what the error is saying, what security programs are being used, screenshots of the error, and we may recommend whitelisting in order to get you on our way while we look into it, or as a troubleshooting step to ensure that is the software that is blocking access. 

That being said, there is a second issue that has been brought up in this thread recently which is the browser plugin uBlock Origin blocking clicked links. This is different than normal anti-virus security software in that the point of the plugin is to block ads or any server meant to track user behavior. Links in a Constant Contact email go through the r20.rs6.net URL in order to be recorded as a "click" in your campaign reporting. In that sense, the domain is used to track behavior and is blocked accordingly through uBlock origin. They aren't likely to change their policy globally to allow our domain to continue to track clicks, so it's left up to each individual using the plugin to choose whether or not they want to remove the block to individual sites. This speaks to a growing shift in the market where users want more transparency into their data and how they are being tracked.

@SophiaL37  - Based on information from your recent support interaction, your issue seems separate from both the Norton and uBlock experiences I mentioned above. Because of this I'd like to address you more specifically. The message you're receiving is a general connectivity error so it's not completely clear yet if it's stemming from any particular security software (in many cases these errors come from the software program itself and not just the Chrome error message). In order to get to the bottom of this for you we've submitted a case to our advanced level of support on your behalf. We're curious to get some more information on the workaround regarding creating new templates. As for your point about redirecting, the r20.rs6.net domain is meant to redirect to the link address. This is done in order to track as a click, this isn't a virus. Though a member of our advanced level support team will follow-up with you directly on this, I will be keeping an eye on your case as well.

55 REPLIES 55
Participant

Having the same issue with one of my readers.

Regular Participant

Having the same issue. The reader who brought it to my attention had clicked on a link in our email to a file that was hosted on our own website. I found that if I gave them the url to the file on our website, they could access the file just fine. So it seems that the problem was with Constant Constants "r20.rs6.net....." tracking url and not with the link destination itself. This customer was also using Norton, so it may be a Norton only issue? But as there is no way (that I'm aware of) for us to include a link in a Constant Contact email without CC's tracking url being used, this definitely seems to be something Constant Contact needs to fix, that we as users can't get around?

I receive an email periodically from a business written using the Constant Coment  tools.  I keep getting this error r20.ns6.net

when I use my iphone 8 plus to open up the link for the website listed on the email.  If I do the same email on my MacBook Pro,  I have no problems.

would you shed some light on this problem please-

Very frustrating to say the least!

Karen W

Hi @KarenW015. Could you forward a copy of one of these emails to communitysupport(at)constantcontact(dot)com along with your username, a reference to this post, and the app you are using to view your emails?

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Regular Participant

It seems like this problem has been going on for years.  Will there ever be a solution that doesn't involve a lot of work on the part of many subscribers.  It seems like it is something Constant Contact should be able to resolve.

Employee

Hello @savedra , @BenjaminH9, @EPAUMC,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I apologize that some of your readers have had trouble accessing links in your email. That message was caused by a known issue that we are currently experiencing with rs6.net links. The issue particularly affects contacts who have Norton Antivirus installed on their computer. To prevent this from happening, they can white list the domain rs6.net in their Norton security system and will no longer get these messages. Here is a link to our FAQ on Whitelisting Constant Contact and rs6.net. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may pose. Our engineering team is looking into this and working on a fix. If you would like to receive notification when this is fixed, email us at Social_Support(at)ConstantContact(dot)com with the best email to reach and reference to this post.

Jonathan Rich
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!

We are having a problem with r20.rs6.net on all the links we have in our email.  We have a large mailing list and can not work with each customer to have them whitelist the links. (personally it is happening on my phone and although I am very computer literate, I have no clue how to fix this.  We have a legally required notice to send out in the next few days.  Please help.

Hello @FriendsofTheSeattlePublicL

Thank you for contacting us regarding your issue with the links in your campaigns. We certainly want to be sure that your customers are able to click on links in your email with no issues. If possible, would you be able to answer a few questions?

• Does this happen on both desktop and mobile?
  • Does the issue occur on every campaign you send?
  • Are you viewing the email while connected to a work network?
  • Have any of your contacts reported the same issue?

Thanks!

Alex S.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

Having same issue. We need this fixed ASAP!

Hi @KatieG611

I apologize you're experiencing this same message with your links! Do you have an antivirus system running on your computer? We also have a few more follow-up questions that Alex previously mentioned:

• Does this happen on both desktop and mobile?
  • Does the issue occur on every campaign you send?
  • Are you viewing the email while connected to a work network?
  • Have any of your contacts reported the same issue?

Once we have these details we can troubleshoot this further for you.

Frankie.P

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

We are having problem, especially from Desktop when user clicks on URL in email. The respective page do not get opened and throws following error 

This site can’t be reached

r20.rs6.net took too long to respond.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and the firewall
  • Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

From mobile devices it works seamlessly.

Hi @NEMM 

I apologize you too are having this experience! Is this URL missing any dots, or even contain any extra dots? We have seen this experience if there are any broken links or images due to extra dots or missing dots in these URLs. In these cases we suggest manually typing in the missing dot or removing the extra dot to go to the correct website. You can also use the View As Webpage version, if it's a link in the email body. The webpage version will have the correct link.

Frankie.P

Hi. Are there any updates on the progress of fixing this bug when Norton computers receive links via Constant Contact emails?

Hey @NancyS7,

Thank you for reaching out to us! Unfortunately, I don't see any updates on the developer report of this issue. However, any information you can provide on the issue is very valuable to help speed up the process. Which devices is this error occurring on? Does it happen with all Norton customers? Thank you so much for your time! 

Desi_B

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!

Tier 2 Support has many details from us about what has been happening. As of today, July 12, this issue is not resolved and can result in dangerous redirects to malicious sites. You try telling 14,000 email recipients that a link in your email may have taken them to a malware site. 

We have had 2 major email campaign failures due to the r20 link not connecting to the correct web address including taking our users to a webpage that is identified as malicious. This is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. I cannot believe that I am reading that this problem is going on for multiple years and customer support is indicating that this is some kind of "new" and rare problem. We have serious and required email communications with our clients and now we are literally uncertain what will happen with messages sent out through CC. I'm at a loss of what to do other than change companies. 

Hi @KimberlyP8 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your emails. I can completely understand how important it is for your links to open correctly. Though you too are seeing links lead to a malware site, it is due to a different reason than this thread originally focused on. The original users in this thread were seeing these urls being blocked by Norton Antivirus. This has since been resolved. It seems you are having this experience due to missing dots breaking the URLs in your email. In these cases we suggest manually typing in the missing dot to go to the correct website. We have also seen users use the View As Webpage version, as the web-page version will have the correct link. However I have taken a look at your account and see you have an open ticket with our Advanced Level of Support. A member of this team will continue to assist directly through there.

Frankie.P

Hi.

I am having the same problem with r20.rs6.net tracking url, which prevents links from the e-mail to open.

Error.png

I can't send out e-mails with blocked links, which means I can't use your service.

I have checked and there are no missing dots breaking the URLs in your email. We have a large mailing list and can not work with each customer to have them whitelist the links. Everything seems to work fine on the mobiles, only desktops seems to be the problem. 

What do you suggest? 

I am worried because I see this same problem hasn't been solved in the last 2 years.

Please advise as we are loosing business.

Martina, SMTours - adriaticmototours.com

I am following this thread closely and our organization will consider migrating to if this is not resolved shortly. 

Hi @GoodNewsGarageVT 

Are you too having this experience with the links in your email? If so, having the details requested in my previous post is important:

What is the URL string you are seeing be affected? Do you have any spam filters, security programs, or firewalls being used? Please send these details to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com along with the name of this campaign, an email address of a contact who experience this, your ISP, and email client.

Frankie.P