Selecting columns for upload

SOLVED
Go to solution
rcppubs23
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

I added a number of contacts to a list accidentally, from inside of Constant Contact. There was no way to undo what I did, so am reverting to a backup saved a month before my error.

I was assured that I could just import it back into Constant Contact and that any name already on the list (which will be all the names, since no new names are being added during this import) will retain the elements assigned to it (such as tags, lists, etc.--many of these names are on multiple lists in my account).

But when I went to do this, I found many fields that are default Constant Contact fields do not come up as a choice when I'm matching columns. I am thinking I could just skip those columns, since the info in them is already in the account, but I don't want to lose that data. So I don't want to do it without reviewing this process with a knowledgeable CC rep. Also, a couple custom fields I have in my account DO appear on the list I can select from, but I can't click on those. Again, and more so in this case because the content is extremely important, I don't want to proceed without knowing what affect it may have on the existing records for these subscribers.

Anyone have experience with this???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Zoe_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @rcppubs23,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! If you see that our default field names and your custom field names aren't appearing or not allowing you to select them, that means that they are already being used to label a column in that spreadsheet and you will want to create a new custom field. Also, when you upload existing contacts back into the account, you won't lose any data that is in Constant Contact, but you are able to add more information to each email address if you want. So it sounds like you should be just fine to proceed without losing any of your data. 

Zoe H.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Zoe_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @rcppubs23,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! If you see that our default field names and your custom field names aren't appearing or not allowing you to select them, that means that they are already being used to label a column in that spreadsheet and you will want to create a new custom field. Also, when you upload existing contacts back into the account, you won't lose any data that is in Constant Contact, but you are able to add more information to each email address if you want. So it sounds like you should be just fine to proceed without losing any of your data. 

Zoe H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
rcppubs23
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Thanks Zoe.

If this is the case, then it seems like I don't need to assign any fields for import except the ones CC finds the match for. Does that seem right? I'm worried about creating a bunch of custom fields that will just be duplicates of fields already in the account.

Zoe_H
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @rcppubs23,

You are correct! You shouldn't have to create any new custom fields.

Zoe H.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Apr 23
Community Conversations: SMS Marketing - Activate, Regulate, Communicate!
2PM - 3:00 PM EST