Sidebar

SOLVED
Go to solution
JaniceP629
Rookie
0 Votes

New user here.  I have created a newsletter in CC.  I am using the system's button for "Left column sidebar."  Inside CC, my newsletter looks great, complete with sidebar.  However, when I send a "test," the recipient's newsletter doesn't have a sidebar, it has 2 equally-spaced columns.  Given that the sidebar information is limited and in a smaller font, the end result does not look good. 

Has anyone had this same problem and been able to remedy it? 

In advance, thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Honestly with how Outlook renders emails using Word, there's any number of issues that may come up when they display emails in their programs, and especially between different versions of Outlook (i.e. an issue in 2016 may not occur in 2010, 2019, etc.) Since Outlook uses Word to read HTML and CSS codes for emails, it also means that emails may look drastically different at times compared to other standard email programs and apps like Gmail, Yahoo, Apple Mail, etc. 

I spoke with our higher level technical team, and they've seen this issue crop up before with Outlook clients. Unfortunately with how Outlook functions, at this time those layout blocks won't appear 100% similar to how they do in the editor / preview compared to other email programs. I've tracked the known service request for this to your account, and submitted it to the engineers for further review. If and when they have an update regarding it, they'll notify you directly.

In the meantime if you're anticipating the majority of your recipients using Outlook to read your emails, I'd advise not using the sidebar layout blocks in your emails.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A
Community & Social Media Support

View solution in original post

Top Answer
William_A
Administrator

Honestly with how Outlook renders emails using Word, there's any number of issues that may come up when they display emails in their programs, and especially between different versions of Outlook (i.e. an issue in 2016 may not occur in 2010, 2019, etc.) Since Outlook uses Word to read HTML and CSS codes for emails, it also means that emails may look drastically different at times compared to other standard email programs and apps like Gmail, Yahoo, Apple Mail, etc. 

I spoke with our higher level technical team, and they've seen this issue crop up before with Outlook clients. Unfortunately with how Outlook functions, at this time those layout blocks won't appear 100% similar to how they do in the editor / preview compared to other email programs. I've tracked the known service request for this to your account, and submitted it to the engineers for further review. If and when they have an update regarding it, they'll notify you directly.

In the meantime if you're anticipating the majority of your recipients using Outlook to read your emails, I'd advise not using the sidebar layout blocks in your emails.

5 REPLIES 5
William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @JaniceP629 ,

With the way that mobile email apps work, that's simply how the sidebar will appear when viewed on a mobile device, since it's technically a separate block / column within the layout.

See also:

Best Practices for Emails on Mobile Devices

Make an email easier to read

Image tips for editing emails on desktop

William A
JaniceP629
Rookie
0 Votes

Unfortunately, I wasn't viewing the received test from a mobile device. 

I received and viewed it on my computer, in my Outlook email.  Does that impact your reply?  Thanks.

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

What version of Outlook are you viewing it on? Does the issue occur on other email programs as well? Can you provide screencaps of how it appears on your end vs the desktop preview? Are there any other stretching or spacing issues occurring when viewing the email in your particular Outlook program? Do other emails made through Constant Contact have display issues when viewed through your particular Outlook program?

William A
JaniceP629
Rookie
0 Votes

In checking my Outlook, it says it is part of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016.  I'm not aware of any stretching or spacing issues occurring within that platform, in reviewing other emails.  Other CC communications that I have received in Outlook do not include a sidebar, so I unfortunately do not have another item to go by.  However, since I initially posted, I can see that if I send a test to a different, personal email account at yahoo.com...the newsletter does have a sidebar and it looks great.  Unfortunately, I'm guessing that most recipients on my distribution list use Outlook.  In boiling this down, it appears there might be some type of hangup when using Outlook.  Have you come across that before?

William_A
Administrator
0 Votes

William A
Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST