We all started somewhere! Share your experience on the Get Advice: Let's Get Started Sweepstakes thread and be entered to win a $100 credit on your Constant Contact account.

Simple Line Border Around Content Block

SOLVED
Go to solution
IreneS30087
Participant

Simple Line Border Around Content Block

I know it's easy and I know there is someplace that will show me how, but I can't seem to find it.  Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hi @IreneS30087. I'd be happy to help you with this. To add a border to a block, you will want to click Options in the floating toolbar above the block and then you can select the style, color, and width of the border that you would like to use. 

blockoptions.png

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hi @IreneS30087. I'd be happy to help you with this. To add a border to a block, you will want to click Options in the floating toolbar above the block and then you can select the style, color, and width of the border that you would like to use. 

blockoptions.png

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

View solution in original post

GPEC2010
Occasional Participant

How do you do this in the new content editor?

Hi @GPEC2010! Although our third-generation editor does not have the ability to insert a border around a block, you are able to change the background color of a block if you wanted to have a block stand out from the rest of your email. I will submit your feedback about adding or editing a border over to our Product team.

Caitlin M.
Community Manager

How do I remove the line around the block?  3rd gen.

Hi @gbwgbw

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your email! Is it a divider line you're looking to removing from your Third Generation email? If so this is definitely something you can do. You would want to left click on the divider in your email to open the editor. Once you do this, the divider's formatting table will show. This is where you'll see a trash can icon.

2018-03-12_13-23-35.png

Clicking on this icon will remove your line divider from your email.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

No, it's not the line divider.  There is a thin line around the content block.  I wanted to get rid of it but I ended up changing the background instead.

Hello @gbwgbw,

I'm sorry that we had such a hard time getting the right answer for you.  If you're looking to change the border that goes around the campaign as a whole in the new editor, you'll need to change the default color for buttons and dividers.  You do this by going to the 'design' tab on the left side, and then scroll down to the buttons and dividers section.

Design tab for changing outer border.png

Aaron_H

That answer was the winner!  Thank you for being persistent!

Hello @gbwgbw,

I'm glad Aaron was able to nail down an answer for you! Please let us know if we can assist with anything else!

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

So this means that unless we want a border to show on the side of the block, we can't use dividers, either... is that correct?

What if I want dividers, but not borders?

Hello @ValerieT872,

I apologize for the confusion, you will definitely be able to drag and drop over a divider into your email campaign without it adding a border on the side of your blocks in your email. Please click here for information on how to insert and customize the dividers.  

Zoe H.

I'm trying to add a simple border around my entire email; not a specific block within the email, but the entire email. I'd like my background to be gray and the border around my entire email to be red. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to do this! I'm sure it's something simple and I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello @PamB387,

I apologize but at the moment we are not able to add borders around an entire email. I am more than happy to submit your feedback over to our engineers for review. You will be notified by email with any updates! Again, I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause. Thank you for reaching out and I hope you have a wonderful day! 

Zoe H.

Hi Zoe,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly because our parent company has a border around their emails and I'm trying to be consistent with our branding. Please see their email below. Isn't the green "border" a border surrounding their entire email?

Thank you!

QSSI email blast.PNG

Hello @PamB387,

It looks like that email was created in our second generation editing system. Currently you are using our third generation of editing which unfortunately does not have the ability to add borders around an entire email like the image you sent me yet. I apologize for the confusion! We are still updating our new third generation templates with new upgrades so hopefully that will be a feature that we add soon. 

Zoe H.

Yes you can ... with the 3rd generation editor you are able to have a border around your entire email. 

Click on the "Design" tab on the left. 
Set your outer background to any color that you want (gray)
Under "Colors" and "Buttons and Dividers" at the bottom, choose the color you want to outline your email in (red) ... done.

NOW that does make your buttons default to this color you picked here, but you can change individual buttons to any color you want. So here is my suggestion to Constant Contact ... how about you separate out these items and allow a little more control. I don't want a border at all, so mine as to be set to white. Now that make all my buttons default to white as well. This is ridiculous as these are two very different items. Or ... also allow the option of NO border ... GASP. GROUNDBREAKING FEATURE!

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.21.39 PM.png

Hello @CALmsu,

You're absolutely right about that method you just described of changing the border colors, and if the border was merely hidden, that would correct the issue.  The problem is that not all templates in the new editor currently include borders.  If you create an email using the 'Blank' or 'Basic Letter' templates for example, there's only a thin single line border around the entire campaign.  If you use the 'Basic Newsletter' template instead, you'll see that thicker border, similar to what's shown in the screenshot you took.  There's no way to switch between the border types currently, other than to re-create using a different template.

Aaron_H

Thanks, Aaron. It appears that I'm using a basic template. 

I'll change to the newsletter template and see if that works.

Thanks to everyone for your responses & help!

Hi @PamB387

You're very welcome! Please let us know if switching templates helps or if you have any further questions with working in your account. We're always here to help.

Frankie.P

Thanks again!

I was hoping I could do a simple "change template" for my campaign, with some tweaking, rather than start from scratch. I guess that's not possible?

Thanks so much for your help!