Space bar not working in Firefox - April 2022

NeslyO

Whenever I type text and input space with space bar the space disappears immediately, so if I continue to type the words run together, I'm not having this issue on any other platforms using the same keyboard and browser, any ideas of what might be causing this?  I have a video I can share.

Top Answer
Kyle_R
Administrator

Final Update 11/3: Hello everyone. I'm pleased to say this is now resolved. A fix was rolled out this morning that included several editor improvements, including this one where spaces were being automatically removed in some cases in Firefox. 

If you still observe the space bar being removed between words, I'd try restarting your browser or clearing cache just to make sure the old code isn't cached somewhere.

I'm truly sorry this one took so long to resolve, but happy to see if be addressed.

167 REPLIES 167
Amanda_G
Employee

Hi @NeslyO , 

I do apologize that you are running into that! I was able to access your site using Google Chrome, and I could not replicate that issue. What browser are you using? Are you able to try incognito mode, or try another browser to see if the issue is still occurring? I'm wondering if there may be a plugin/extension installed on your browser that is interfering with the editor. 

If that doesn't work, I do believe that a screen share might be beneficial in diagnosing this - I would recommend giving our support team a call at 866-289-2101. They are here during these hours: 

Monday-Thursday: 6 a.m. - 8 p.m. MT or 8 a.m.- 10 p.m. ET

Friday: 6 a.m. - 7 p.m. MT or 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. ET

Saturday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. MT or 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET

Amanda G.
Community & Social Care
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
JulieL34
Super Participant

idk about @NeslyO, but I did not have any problem with saving. The problem is that as I type, the spaces disappear as I type them. Then after saving, I can go back in and add the spaces and re-save. But if it had been more than a few words that would have been really tedious.

No error messages were involved.,

Hello @JulieL34,

I do apologize that you are running into that! I was able to access your site using Google Chrome, and I could not replicate that issue. Are you able to try incognito mode, or try another browser to see if the issue is still occurring? I'm wondering if there may be a plugin/extension installed on your browser that is interfering with the editor. 

If that doesn't work, I do believe that a screen share might be beneficial in diagnosing this - I would recommend giving our support team a call at 866-289-2101. They are here during these hours: 

Monday-Thursday: 6 a.m. - 8 p.m. MT or 8 a.m.- 10 p.m. ET

Friday: 6 a.m. - 7 p.m. MT or 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. ET

Saturday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. MT or 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET

Zoe H.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
JulieL34
Super Participant

The problem is not happening in Chrome, but it IS happening in "private" firefox mode.

I have not yet tried disabling the extensions.

It ONLY happens (so far) in a cross device template I have just started using. Does NOT happen (firefox or not) in 3G templates I have been using before. And, to repeat my original point, when I go back into the block I can add the spaces and it holds onto them that time. It's a lot of extra work.

When I went to a campaign using the same cross device template in Chrome, it doesn't let me log out of the account, so I am not inclined to work in Chrome.

Hi @JulieL34. This appears to be a Firefox-specific issue with the cross-platform editor. You mentioned you didn't turn off extensions yet in a private window for Firefox. If possible, could you let us know if this alleviates the issue so we can let our teams know?

Caitlin M.
Community Manager

JulieL34
Super Participant

I figured out another aspect of this that may or may not shed light.

I experimented with typing some text into the cross-device template. As far as I can tell there are only two of them, though I feel like I have heard people refer to more than that. Here is a screenshot.

If you look at the section that has brackets around the content (I don't know what copy block is used to create that, it was in the template when I started using it.) When I type in that area inside the brackets, the spaces are fine. But if I start a separate paragraph outside those brackets, or bring in a new text block to type in, the spaces disappear as I type. The only workaround I can find is to type the text first in another program and then copy/paste it into CC. Not ideal, really. Sometimes you need to add or change text while you are designing the email. But maybe your techies, who will know what that bracketed copy is doing, will be able to figure out why spaces work there in FF but not in regular text blocks.

Thanks.

cross-device-spacing-problem.jpg

JulieL34
Super Participant

I tested this in Firefox with extensions disabled, but still the spaces disappear. In fact, when the extensions are ENABLED, I type the space and see it on the screen, then when i type the next letter the space disappears. Consistently. Every space. With extensions DISABLED, I don't even see that action of the space appearing and disappearing. It just doesn't appear to taek it at all. I mention this because maybe it means something is different, though the end result is the same.

TomA786
Regular Participant

Having same problem.

Hello @TomA786 ,

Is the issue occurring in other browsers, in Incognito/Private browsing, on other devices, or networks? Does temporarily disabling browser extensions, ad/pop-up blockers, VPNs, or security software you're running seem to alleviate the issue?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William A

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
TomA786
Regular Participant

Changing from Firefox to Bing seems to have alleviated the problem for now.

A "solution" was not found, a work around was identified in that I could use Chrome and it seems another user has used Explorer or Edge. This would indicate it's a Firefox specific issue, I have not seen this specific behavior in years in a platforms and I use Firefox extensively including to do web design work.   I'm sure it would not be hard to capture and I'm surprised your development team didn't capture the exception in their test cases as this would seem to be a glaring fail on any functional test case, if cross browser testing was done.

It is a very recent issue that's cropped up that the devs are looking into. Yours and TomA786's accounts have been marked as affected, and you'll be notified if and when they have an update regarding this.

Please keep in mind that the "Accepted Solution" blurb is just a signature bit all employee responses have, to encourage Community users to mark it as such when it is. Obviously me asking questions isn't going to be an accepted solution, so there's not really a need to point it out.

William A

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

William,

I was happy to note that I am not the only person writing on here who encounters frustration when asked to mark a post as "accepted solution" when it is not even an attempted solution. I would think you should be able to remove that boilerplate when it is not relevant. If not, CC should reexamine this policy! Perhaps it offends you if people raise it, but the solution to that is to NOT include a signature blurb that's irrelevant to your post.

I am having the same problem as NeslyO. I use Firefox for all my web development work and having to switch browsers in order to use Constant Contact is NOT a good solution. Please add me to your list to contact when this is resolved.

Suzanne

NeslyO

Thanks Amanda_G, sorry for delay in response.  I am using Firefox and I have tried in private mode.  I have also testing in Chrome and the issue does not occur in standard mode, did not test incognito.   It happens just as I type the next character after the space character was input.

JulieL34
Super Participant

I just had that same problem, and thought it was me. Mine was in the cross device template, and it was the first time I had used it, so don't know if it's a problem to that template, or just a new problem that just cropped up tonight. After I typed my sentence I was able to go back in and add the spaces, but if I had been typing more than a few words it would have been really frustrating!

@JulieL34 To confirm that you are experiencing the same issue, was this happening in Firefox? If so, does using another browser allow you to type freely?

Caitlin M.
Community Manager

TomA786
Regular Participant

Yes, spacing problem occurred while accessing Constant Contact with Firefox.  I was able to complete newsletter draft without experiencing spacing problem accessing Constant Contact with Edge.  I have not drafted another newsletter since to see if problem persists in Firefox or if not a problem in Edge. 

It was in Firefox, and since it happened only once, and I was typing only one sentence, I wrote it off as a fluke in my head, for the moment, and did not test other browsers, etc. I would not even have reported it had I not subsequently seen others' reports of the issue.

And I haven't done any new campaigns since that one. When/if it happens again, I'll surely test. However, I will say that Firefox is my browser of choice and I hope this will not be an excuse for not solving the problem.

JulieL34
Super Participant

@Caitlin_M
I considered posting this under a different topic, but I suspect it is related to this problem we've been discussing in this thread. Tonight I discovered that many of the font sizes do not work in Firefox either. That is, you can see them in the list, but you can't select most of them. (It's like you only have access to the previous ones we had before the list got expanded.) Also, what you select is not what you get. If you pick 16 you get 15, if you pick 18 you get 17, and so on. I was able to fix it by switching to Edge, but I really don't want to stop using Firefox over this. I've used it since it was Netscape and it's still a good browser.

• Support Tips

Reporting Metrics

"Authenticating your emails is the best way to ensure your emails achieve maximum deliverability. If you have your own domain, setting up self-authentication is especially important! " - Will

See Article
  • Support Tips

Call-To-Action Links

"Target your most engaged contacts by creating a segment. Create a special offer or show your appreciation!" - Caitlin

See Article
  • Support Tips

Read Before You Send a Test Email

"Did you know? You can send unlimited test emails to your verified email address, but only 50 in a 24-hour period to non-verified email addresses." - Nick

See Article