What to do at the end of an automated series?

CaseyW4
Participant

What to do at the end of an automated series?

I have a 3-email welcome series that runs when a new lead's email is dropped into an email list. This email list is dedicated only to the marketing source that generated the lead, and the content in the email series also coincides with that lead source (for example, "webinar").

Concurrently, I have a general drip email series that goes out to our subscriber base - around 3 emails per week.

Question is: when the automated 3-email welcome series runs its course, I want those leads to then be dropped into the general drip email series. Is there any way to automate that - or do I need to manually select the "webinar" email list when setting up a new email in the general drip campaign?

Ideally, the "webinar" welcome series would run its course, and then the new subscribers would then begin to receive the drip emails, because I don't want them receiving emails from the "webinar" welcome series AND the drip series at the same time. (Risk here is that they'd receive 2 emails in a single day - one from "webinar" and one from drip - which I want to avoid.)

Thanks,

Steve

3 REPLIES 3
William_D

Hello @CaseyW4 ,

If you'd like for these contacts to continue to receive emails through a drip / automation series rather than manually scheduling and sending, you can set up a series to trigger for the applicable contacts / lists to start sending after X amount of time (based on when the other series will end).

I'd recommend calling into our general support line so they can screenshare with you, and make sure you're going through the process of scheduling these series with the proper time frames in mind. That way you can have some more 1:1 guidance when setting these up, and be able to discuss the details and names of specific automation series and steps.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
CaseyW4
Participant

Hi William ...

Thank you for your guidance. 

I followed up today via the Support line, and unfortunately, it sound like:

1. There is no way to trigger subscribers of Email List 1 to begin receiving emails from Email List 2, after the auto-series for Email List 1 has completed.

2. There is no way for subscribers or Email List 1 to not receive emails from Email List 2. IE, there is no way to run a welcome series and say, "only send new subscribers the Welcome Series, and no other emails. Once the Welcome Series automation runs its course, then send them all other campaigns."

Sounds like it's a no-go - but I wanted to follow up with you to see if you had any other insights.

Hi @CaseyW4 ,

For point 1, the only insight I can offer would be to use the time-setup I mentioned in my earlier post, since automated emails aren't able to trigger other automated series.

For point 2, the only insight I can offer is that you'd need to have multiple lists and automation series setup to accomplish what you need. It'll ultimately require a lot of manual work - but it should still be doable. How I'd set it up would be like this:

1. Create your Welcome series. Set this to trigger for additions to Email List 1.
  2. Copy the Welcome series and set it to trigger off of Email List 2.
  3. Create your secondary series and assign it to trigger off of additions to Email List 1, with a time delay equal to what you'd need it to be for the Welcome series to run its course.
  4. Following these instructions you should have the original Welcome Series and Secondary Series with a first step time delay of X days assigned to Email List 1, and then the copied Welcome Series 2 assigned to Email List 2.

The main component to really pay attention to is how you're assigning these contacts. For this purpose, it'll likely be best to have a sort of "distribution list" that all your applicable sign ups and contact uploads are put into. Then you can assign them to the proper List 1 (for the Welcome and Secondary series) and List 2 (for just Welcome series) as needed. If you include a question in your sign up form that denotes this difference for the contact to select, that'll make it easier on your for assigning them.

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.