Where is the option to 'view in browser' in an email now?

SOLVED
Go to solution
KathyG622
Constant Contact Partner

I'm converting an old customer over to a new template and I've noticed that the option that said 'having trouble viewing this email? Click here to view in a browser' is missing. Did I miss something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Frankie_P

Hi @B2F 

The good news our engineers have added this feature back in our email campaigns! You can insert a "View as Webpage" link in your email.

3ge-text-toolbar-insert-dropdown-menu-view-as-webpage-step1.png

3ge-insert-view-as-webpage-link-overlay-insert-button-step23.png

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Curtis_P
Employee

Hello @KathyG622,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this!

The option to view in web browser option has been discontinued in the Third Generation Editor. This is why you are not seeing the option in the header of your campaigns.

As an alternative you can make a copy of the campaign that you are sending and send this to a list with just your contact. Once this has been sent a share URL will be created. Copy and paste the share URL into the top of your email with the "View in browser" verbiage. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused!

Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.

-Curtis P

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
VirginiaH90
Campaign Collaborator

Thanks for your response Curtis_P. That is a lot of work for something that was automatic before. Not the answer I was hoping for but thanks for the workaround idea I appreciate it. Kathy

Frankie_P
0 Votes

Hi @VirginiaH90

I'm glad we could help share our workaround for this feature. I apologize our workaround wasn't exactly the answer you were hoping for. However I do hope the workaround we provided helps!

Frankie.P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
GeraldW49
Campaign Expert

Not happy about these omissions at all. Why remove functions that promote more views for your clients? 

Frankie_P
0 Votes

Hi @GeraldW49

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about functions you'd like to see in your account. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by not having this feature. Any feedback about changes you would like to see can be submitted and tracked by our developers here in the CommunityYou can also submit feedback through the Have Feedback button at the bottom of every page in your account. We are always looking for ways to better our user's experience.

In the meantime we do suggest the work around mentioned of sending your email to a list of just you, getting the Short URL for that email, copying the sent email, and adding the Short URL into the email through a text box at the top.

Frankie.P

FB-user
Campaign Collaborator

What a **bleep**ty thing to do!  

Lucas_D
Employee

Hi @FB-user,

Sorry for any inconvenience not having this feature may have caused you. However, I am happy to report that it is now available in the third-generation editor. Click here for an article on how to use it!

Lucas_D

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
FB-user
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes
Thank you. This is very helpful.
LauraD3
Rookie

No need to remove a helpful function that actually worked. Please update to bring that feature back.

Alex_S
Employee

Hello @LauraD3

Thanks for reaching out in the Community regarding the view in browser feature in the new editor. While there are a few additional steps to achieve this feature now, it is still available. Check out the Insert a "View as Webpage" Link into an Email Using the Third-Generation Editor article in our knowledge base for steps on how to do this now. 

I understand that the additional steps for adding this to the email are more time consuming, so I'm happy to track your feedback and provide it the appropriate teams for review. 

Thanks again for providing your feedback to us. Have a great day! 

Alex S.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
B2F
Constant Contact Partner
Constant Contact Partner
0 Votes

Are there any plans to add this back in the template so we don't have to add it each time we create an email campaign?  This seems to be taking a long time and I'm assuming it's not that hard to do.

Thanks!

Frankie_P

Hi @B2F 

The good news our engineers have added this feature back in our email campaigns! You can insert a "View as Webpage" link in your email.

3ge-text-toolbar-insert-dropdown-menu-view-as-webpage-step1.png

3ge-insert-view-as-webpage-link-overlay-insert-button-step23.png

Frankie.P

MeghanF828
Rookie

Is there no "merge token" for the view in browser? All our emails are custom coded? How can I add the VIB without using the WYSIWYG?

Caitlin_M
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @MeghanF828. While working in your custom code email, go to the Message Header tab and you can select the checkbox to include a link to the webpage version of your email. 

customcodeviewaswebpage.png

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
user41674
Rookie
0 Votes

I'm searching for this screenshot, but can not find it. I have live view on the right and the HTML on the left. 

How to bring this up to fill that checkbox? 

Nick_S
Administrator
0 Votes

Hi @user41674,

Thanks for your question. It looks like you are using our new custom code editor. A built-in View As Webpage feature is not currently available, but it is still possible to achieve.

Add this code in your email where you want to have the link displayed:

<span class="view-as-webpage" data-display-text="View as Webpage" id="viewAsWebPage" data-render-for-publish="View as Webpage">View as Webpage</span>

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Looking to level up your email template designs? Share your email campaigns in Template Feedback & Inspiration and receive valuable advice from Constant Contact experts and industry peers!

KimF96
Campaign Contributor

Not happy about this. That's all I have to say.

Amber_L
Employee

Thank you everyone for your feedback on this feature. Thanks to your requests, and the requests of other customers, our developers have added a "View as Webpage" option to 3GE! Here's how to add it:

1. Place your cursor where you want to add the link and click Insert > View as Webpage.

Insert Drop-down Menu and View as Webpage Option
  2. Add the text you want to display as your link.
  3. Click Insert.

Text to Display Field and Insert Button
  4. (Optional) The "View as Webpage" link defaults to the standard web style for links - blue text with an underline. Highlight the link placeholder and use the text editor to change the font style, color, size, or emphasis.

Text Toolbar Options
  5. Click Preview to see your style choices applied to the link.

Preview Button

When your contacts click on the link, they'll be taken to the same permanent URL that can be used to share your email on your social media channels, linked on a webpage, or even shared in future emails.

Preview showing standard blue text and underline link styling Preview showing custom font, color, and italic link styling
"View as Webpage" link with standard web link styles. "View as Webpage" link with font, color, and italic styles applied.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. Thank you all for choosing Constant Contact! 

Amber_L

Fike
Rookie

When I followed these instructions and sent a real email (to just a test list thankfully), the link was not active. How do I get the link to the email I created and am sending? I know how to edit the text with the link once I have it, but I'm confused about how to find that link. And is that the process? I have to send to myself first before I can do a full deploy?

EDIT: I answered part of my question...I know where the link now is to edit the View in webpage insert. But from the knowledge base article I read it sounds like this isn't available until the email has been sent. Is that correct? Is this something that is in the works to be revised? I've never had to go back in and edit these URLs for other ESPs.

Curtis_P
Employee
0 Votes

Hello @Fike,

Thank you for your response!

This function is actually operating as designed. The reason that you must complete a live send of your campaign for this to work is actually quite simple. Until the campaign has been sent it will remain in a draft status, meaning that it is meant to be edited and is not in its final form. Once the campaign has been sent it is considered to be a final version in which a permanent URL can then be created for distribution. We apologize for any inconvenience; however, this is working as designed. I hope that this helps clear things up a bit.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

-Curtis P

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
GaryB858
Rookie

I want the ENTIRE email to show in a web browser, not just sections.  Why can't you just add View as Web Browser back in?  My partner says he can't find the style sheet option either.  What we're having to do is go back to old emails make in the legacy format and copy and change them.  Is there a way we can revert back to using legacy?

FB-user
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes
Also, why are there extra "stray" spaces in some words? It doesn't match the email and makes it look like a mistake. Very unprofessional looking and therefore unusable.
Taryn_L
Employee
0 Votes

@FB-user

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! I'm sorry to hear there are extra spaces in some words within your email. We definitely want to take a look into this issue!

Please email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, the name of the email campaign you are working on, and a reference to this post and we will investigate further!

Taryn Leinweber

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
FB-user
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Hi Taryn_L,

I emailed the information as requested about 3 weeks ago and have not heard back.  Do you have any an update?

Thanks!

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST