I have been doing a newsletter campaign and we send to everyone in our database within Constant Contact. I apparently have 12000 contacts due to our last upload and 2000 of those are "unsubscribed.". However, on Friday we sent the campaign to everyone and when I look at the reporting it shows it only went to 5022 people. However the active emails I have show that there are 10000 people with active emails. Can someone explain how the system is not sending to the other 5000 active emails and why I get charged the increased rate for over 10K if you are failing to send to them when I prompt you to. Epecially since the last few campaigns this has happened and I'm wondering if I need to look at another system to send my emails so they all get them. Please advise. I have been a customer for over 10 years. Very concerned and upset.
Thank you for bringing your concerns to the Community. I reviewed your account and I found that the missing contacts were just not on any lists. Any contact with an email address is considered Active, but it is possible for them not to be on lists. It's hard to say when this happened and the exact reason. For example, lists these contacts were on previously may have been deleted and some of the contacts were not on any other lists so they fell into this limbo state, so to speak.
You will see a new list under Contacts called "Unlisted Contacts." These are the contacts I found. Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will be happy to assist.