can i edit an email once it is sent?

SOLVED
Go to solution
anniet
Participant

can i edit an email once it is sent?

i sent an email and need to change some of the content. can I edit it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jena_S
Marketing Advisor

Hello,

Once an email is sent you cannot edit the sent email but you can make a copy of the email and resend it with the changes. You have to copy your email campaign into a draft format so that you can make your changes and resend the email.

To copy an email click on ‘More” next to the email campaign you want to edit and then select 'Copy' from the drop down

If you are using our 3GE once you copy the email it will ask you to re-name it.  Give it an appropriate name and select save.  If you are using the 2GE you will need to go to the left top corner and edit the name under where it says ‘Customize Your Campaign’.  

Once the email is copied and renamed, make the edits you need to the email itself.  Make sure to change the subject line so that your readers know you have made a change to the email and schedule the email to go out.  

This FAQ goes into more detail: Copy from the Campaign List View.

I hope that helps you!

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
Carrie_Y
Occasional Participant

There is a mistake in a dollar number within a CC newsletter we already sent. I need to correct it since we link our newsletters to our website.

Alison, I guess by now you have figured that this can't be done. I think we've all gone through this. I bet you'll be triple proofing from here out. Regards, Tony

Carrie_Y
Occasional Participant

Yep, I did indeed learn it cannot be done. Thanks for replying, though, Tony. Cheers, Alison

justinen
Occasional Participant

Hi.  I created a newsletter, sent it, and then realized there is a typo.  Is there a way to change this?  Hardly anyone has opened it yet?
thanks!

No. After it is sent it is gone from Constant Contact. The only change you can make that will affect a sent email is to change an image that you have hosted on your own. (Don't try this with Constant Contact hosted images). You can substitute on your hosting a picture of the exact same name, an preferably the exact same size. Anyone who opens or re-opens the mail after you make the change will see the new picture.
CC_Tools
Regular Participant

"...will see the new picture" - but not if the pictures allready are downloaded at recivers end. Outlook and many other mailprograms downloads mail and the entire content and dosn't ceck to see if anythings is updated/changed. So chances are that no one will ever see the changes (and most have show pictures turned off anyway)
bermanloan
Regular Participant

can i edit a email i already sent and resend it?
cedarsage
Regular Participant

No, once it's sent, it cannot be edited. However, you can copy it and then make changes to the new version.

how do you copy it thanks for the help
BigCheese
Regular Participant

On the emails page titled "Recent Work" you will find a list of your e-mails you have worked on. The column headings on that page are, "Edit Copy Name Date Status Opens" Click on the "Copy" icon next to the sent e-mail that you wish to copy. Then rename the file and you are ready to edit the new file.
OCCHC1
Regular Participant

When I bring up my list of emails both the "edit" and "copy" are missing in the two left hand columns - left of the email name.

I cannot edit.

How can I change this?

Has the email been sent? You can not edit a sent email.
mmahurin
Regular Participant

Hi! I am trying to edit some emails that I have scheduled but it will not let me click on the pencil icon to edit them. I've been using Constant Contact since 2007 and have never had this issue. Why are the pencil icons greyed out? I even tried it on 2 other computers but still cannot click on the pencil icons. I have several scheduled emails that I need to modify before they get sent out again! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Maureen

Hi Maureen,

You cannot edit a scheduled email. What you can do is reset the email back to Draft and make your edits. Once finished, schedule the email again.

To reset your email back to Draft status, click the Email Marketing tab. Below, you will see a list of your emails. Click on the name of the email you want to reset. On the Email Details screen, click Reset to Draft Status.

You can now edit your email.

Hope this helps, Jarrad
Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
mmahurin
Regular Participant

I figured it out. If you click on the email name, it takes you to where you can put the email back into draft mode. I don't know if thats how it is supposed to work or not (if so then why have the pencil icon to edit?). But anyway, resetting them to drafts will work. Thanks!
mmahurin
Regular Participant

Thanks Jarrad. Long day, brain is obviously malfunctioning at this point! Appreciate your response back! Have a terrific day! Maureen
Help Please
Occasional Participant

I sent a test email campaign to myself and now it seems I cannot edit it? Yes, I have signed onto my account. Should I have archived before sending? Is there any way to retrieve it so I don't have to start from the beginning? Help Please

You can't edit it once its sent. You can make a copy of it and edit that before the next send.

How can i capture the send out emails from the constant contact. Is there any sample to to do this?

Thanks,

Hi Narasimha,

I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you're looking to do. Could you please clarify?

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!